Author Topic: Shallow vs deep copying of sequence diagrams  (Read 834 times)

Ashar

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Shallow vs deep copying of sequence diagrams
« on: September 24, 2003, 02:35:29 pm »
Hi: Been using EA for a week now... looks like a great product.

I am having trouble reusing elements of one sequence diagram in another. Reuse works if done manually with CTRL-Drag action, however, when I use shallow copying option, the only element that does not get duplicated is the actor.

I could use the manual way but the idea of not having to create all the messages repeatedly in similar diagrams is tempting...

Any ideas?
Thanks
Ashar
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 02:41:22 pm by asharmalik »

jvogt

• EA User
  • software engr in training
    • View Profile
Re: Shallow vs deep copying of sequence diagrams
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 10:35:48 am »
Noticed this in the other section:
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1064446290

Is this what you are looking for?

Regards,
Jesse

Ashar

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 11:44:31 am »
Thanks, the topic is same but the problem is different, actually it is the opposite. In the link you found, the problem seemed to be that messages were not being copied.

I not having any problems copying everything from one Seq to another. Problem is that I want to reference existing objects from a previous diagram without making a new copies of the objects.

Thanks for the help tough,
Ashar

funkiwan

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 02:35:16 pm »
I think I can answer part of your question.  To reuse objects between sequence diagrams:

1. Go to the Project View and create a new packaged called "shared"
2.  Still in the Project View, drag the objects you've created in your diagram that you want to include in other diagrams to your new "shared" folder.
3. To create a new diagram using the shared objects, just drag them to the new diagram.  This will create links back to the original object.  Changes made will be global to that object and will appear in all diagrams using it.  Objects specific to that diagram alone should be created in that diagram's package.

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows how to actually reuse sequences of messages between objects.  Recreating the same message sequences every time becomes tedious.

Thanks,

Jonathan.