Author Topic: Sequence Diagrams and Actions  (Read 829 times)

aljadiri

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Sequence Diagrams and Actions
« on: August 28, 2006, 03:38:26 am »
Hi,
Can one link an Action within a sequence diagram to a sequence object? I create my action object out of the Activity objects and drag it in my sequence diagram but when I try to quick link it to my sequence objects, nothing happens. I need it basically to define a "ValidationAction" which is a subclass of a CallOperation Action.

thanks in advance!

Lilith

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: Sequence Diagrams and Actions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:51:10 am »
Hi Lilith,

If you mean the specification for the profile, look here:http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/formal/test_profile.htm

David
No, you can't have it!

aljadiri

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:57:08 am »
Hi David,
Thanks for your reply! But what I meant is the xml-schema for the profile that one needs to import in enterprise architecture.

thanks,
Lilith

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 04:27:49 am »
Sigh... I was afraid of that.

AFAIK there is no explicit profile in EA; the product just does this as a core feature. Something along the same lines of how EA handles the UML Data Modelling profile.

This leaves us users with a bit of a dilemma. On one hand we've got easy access to the testing profile's capabilities. On the other we have no way to validate or tweak how EA does this. We also have little control over how EA chooses to represent and manipulate the various 'things' the profile generates. This last point is not too much of an issue due to the overall flexibility of EA.

Not a perfect world I know, but still better than no support or a "do it yourself" solution. My advice is to search this forum from time to time for ideas and techniques others have provided. There's a lot of stuff on EA and testing here. There are also many suggestions, some of which Sparx will doubtless take up as future product improvements. Your voice should be added to those you like, along with your wisdom.

David
No, you can't have it!