Author Topic: Recording detailed use case  (Read 3765 times)

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Recording detailed use case
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 07:21:48 pm »
One advantage that I see is that people are not computers.  A reference to a name generally is easier to understand than a number.

If I get a number I would usually need to look it up, work out a name then go back and read the context of the reference again.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

nara_c

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 09:01:38 pm »
Is everyone aware that MS Word has the ability to insert references to numbered paragraphs?  If the referenced paragraph is renumbered for any reason, Word will automatically update all references to it.

Given this feature of Word, I'm not sure of the value of Named Flows...?

Jim, this feature has been available in word for a while now but is not "platform neutral" and does not fit in in the EA approach of documenting flows in the scenario tab.  

Named flows can be used within the (not so elegant) Scenarios tab of EA or in RTF templates and will still work the same.  

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 02:15:38 am »
All good points.  I'm glad I asked my question.
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

TrtnJohn

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 02:22:44 pm »
I use Word 2003 and references have scared me.  I have had many a document get completed corrupted when referencing gets confused.  I am not sure how it happens but I've had documents that all of a sudden decide large amounts of text belong in place of a single numbered paragraph reference.  This referencing feature is very useful and I used to use it in all my documents.  But, after many headaches, I now try to avoid them.  (Which is why I was so interested in this approach).

TrtnJohn

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 02:24:34 pm »

Jim, this feature has been available in word for a while now but is not "platform neutral" and does not fit in in the EA approach of documenting flows in the scenario tab.  

Named flows can be used within the (not so elegant) Scenarios tab of EA or in RTF templates and will still work the same.  

Thanks again for all of the info!

Weedman

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 09:55:35 am »
I do not write Use Cases anymore. We create activity diagrams with the appropriate use case text in various elements of the activity diagram (ie initial state: This use case begins when, etc..)

We then use RTF generator to generate our use cases as a report of the model. This way you can change activity diagram easly and get report generated right away or for that matter at any point in creation of the activity diagrams.

Our BA's and users find it much eaiser to deal with activity diagrams when discussing basic and alternate flows and to also see where common reusable business process are, etc..

We can then go from the activity diagrams to sequence diagrams (checking for robutness- which allows us to verify our use case diagrams and activity diagrams).

Following this process has eliminated the issues everyone has with the textaul use cases of style, content, etc.; as a report of the model is via a template, has a standard look and feel one use case to the next, and can be created with different levels of detail based on the audiance the use case is being provide for.

mhdhallak

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 04:39:44 am »

Another hint which I found useful for documenting detailed Use cases is to use named flows instead of numbers.  This way instead of referencing a number in an alternate flow or other use case (such as at step 5 of Basic flow), I mention the location of the flow (such as at [request customer details] of basic flow).  The obvious advantage of this is that in case I introduce an extra step in the flow during use case review then I will not need to renumber all the referenced location since the name remains the same.

Hope this helps.

After much debate about how to document my UCs, I've decided to go with this method you've proposed. It sounds like the most intuitive and reduces maintaince work, especially now that I'm under heavy time constraint in order to push the project down to developement.
Thanks

AL

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 07:25:45 am »

After much debate about how to document my UCs, I've decided to go with this method you've proposed. It sounds like the most intuitive and reduces maintaince work, especially now that I'm under heavy time constraint in order to push the project down to developement.
I've come to the same conclusion. ;D
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

gloubi

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 04:34:49 am »
Agree with last remark:   I used the word reference systems to reference steps of the main scenario in an alternate one.

But this is not possible in EA since we are working using text.

colinc

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 05:52:26 pm »
Writing Use Cases (as suggested by Cockburn, Bittner, et al.) with EA is a bit limited. You can use the scenarios to write most of the text. But formatting is only possible by handwritten HTML or Wiki-like style. Another (often used) way is to place the scenarios in a Word document or (as being possible recently) in a linked document. I adopted a mixture of the above and what ICONIX is using for writing Use Cases.

I'm curious about the Wiki formatting style you mentioned. Do you mean this can be used to create formatting (or even better links) with scenarios?  At the moment the only way I have been able to differentiate references to other use cases (for include) or scenario extension points (for alternate paths) has been to use upper case. This hardly produces a nicely readable document, just being able to do bold / underline would allow most of Cockburns notation...

Cheers, Colin

thomaskilian

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 03:46:26 am »
Hi Colin,
it's just an idea which I use (in a limited way). You can write plain text and add meta-tags like in Wiki (or in this post window) with '[tag]'. A post-processor can transform these tags to whatever you want.

bioform

• EA User
  • Forty-Two?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 01:16:38 pm »
I've come to the same conclusion. ;D

Ok, how about sharing some examples? Say a simple Activity diagram, an example of the Use Case generated from the RTF template, or maybe even the RTF template?!!  

Thanks for the good posts!
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once, Space is what keeps it all from happening to you. <unknown>