Author Topic: Activity vs. Interaction Overview Diagrams?  (Read 507 times)

ewitkows

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Activity vs. Interaction Overview Diagrams?
« on: November 07, 2006, 07:01:43 am »
Hi everyone, I'm rather new to UML, so I apologize if this question is very easy and Im just not getting it.

Anyway, I have a handy-dandy stack of note cards that give brief overviews and examples of different visual models (supplied by IBM and titled 'Visual Modeling in UML 2.0).  

So, I came across the Interaction Overview diagram and it seemed perfect for a process I wanted to model.  After having some trouble finding some objects in EA to create an Interaction Overview, I stumbled across the Activity diagram, which also seems perfect to model my process.

In my stack of cards, the Activity Diagram is to 'emphasize the sequence and conditions for coordinating low level behaviors'.  Where as Interaction Overview Diagrams are to 'visualize the different options that exist for a given interaction'.

Obviously, these descriptions dont help me delegate which model to use.  Can anyone give me some information as to what is distinguishing between the 2?

Thank You...

Jan ´Bary´ Glas

• EA User
  • Bary
    • View Profile
Re: Activity vs. Interaction Overview Diagrams?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:09:47 pm »
My Best Practices:
Just for 95% I use Activity diagram - it shows "steps" (actions in UML). The rest is for very specific use - Interaction Overview depicts more higher level, but it doesn't have to hide the details.

The use of Interaction diagram may include some activity, sequence, communication and/or timing diagrams OR its FRAGMENTS (frames with no or just word content displayed).

HTH, Bary
Jan 'Bary' Glas

ewitkows

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Activity vs. Interaction Overview Diagrams?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 07:03:25 am »
Thank you, I approached this model with using an Activity Model and it most certainly allowed me to get amount of detail I was aiming for.  thanks for your help..