Author Topic: Importing Requirements from DOORS  (Read 563 times)

alicecbrown

• EA User
  • Silence condones.
    • View Profile
Importing Requirements from DOORS
« on: July 02, 2007, 05:50:59 am »
I understand this new MDG bridge from DOORS allows me to import requirements into the field "Requirements" for the different diagrams.  Before I launch into this add-in, what can I expect.  The description says, "Import DOORS modules" ...I don't want the entire module, just one requirement at a time that traces to the modeling being done.
One more thing that bothers me.  You can download a UML modeling tool for free from Telelogic.  My experience with these freebies is that it means they're trying to launch a new tool and want us to be their Beta test engineers, which may mean that they'll cut out any ability of Sparks to import from DOORS into EA, a competing tool.
Please tell me what you think.
Alice, a new EA user: Do these add-ins work? ???

Unto him who is given much, much is required.

Aaron B

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Importing Requirements from DOORS
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 02:56:40 pm »
Import from DOORS can be filtered by View.  If you only want to import a particular set of Requirements from DOORS, you should define the appropriate filters on a View in DOORS, then select this View in the Import Options for MDG Link for DOORS.

alicecbrown

• EA User
  • Silence condones.
    • View Profile
Re: Importing Requirements from DOORS
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:06:56 am »
thanks so much.  We learn more from one another than we ever could from folks who just know the tool but not our myriad set of applications.
But here's precisely what i want to do: I'm sitting in Enterprise Architect at a pop-up, one of whose tabs is labeled 'Requirements'.  I want to import 1 requirement into that field.  Can I do it with MDG.  Does this now become an external link from DOORs to EA (and vice-versa)?  Question asked due to vulnerability of external links.
thanks
We're thinking of using DOORS and EA across programs, as Engineering Best Practises teach us, but if there's too much trouble/bugs using MDG, it would be easier just to fat-finger the requirements in.
Please set my expectations appropriately.
Unto him who is given much, much is required.