Author Topic: Active lifeline stops after first return in alt  (Read 664 times)

netripper

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Active lifeline stops after first return in alt
« on: October 05, 2007, 02:34:07 am »
I'm having an issue with sequence diagrams in EA. I have made a small diagram to display this issue.

I've created a dummy situation in which a browser logs into a website and depending on success, two outcomes are possible. On success, the browser is redirected to a 'yay' page and on failure the browser is sent to a 'nay' page. The alternative situation is placed inside an 'alt' fragment.

However, I cannot get the activation lifeline to continue up until the second return call.

Is this possible in EA? Am I doing something wrong? Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: Active lifeline stops after first return in al
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 03:02:12 am »
Sounds like a bug.

Please report this directly to Sparx. Use the Report a Bug link below the Support link at the bottom of any forum page to do this. Attach a compressed copy of your sample project.

Please quote the title of this thread, and paste in the URL. This will let Sparx read and contribute to this discussion. If you get a response from Sparx please post it here, so the rest of the community can see what's going on.

David
No, you can't have it!

thomaskilian

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 03:06:10 am »
Try right click the message: Activations

netripper

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 03:28:26 am »
Thanks for the quick response.

The Activations menu gave me a workable workaround: rightclick on the lower message that needs to be connected. Choose Activations -> Extend Source Activation Up.

However, as I believe the alt fragment should automatically detect this situation I've reported the issue as a bug as well. I've added a link to this topic in the report. If I hear anything I'll post it here.

netripper

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 01:15:55 pm »
For everyone interested, I've received an official reply on my question. Looking at the answer, they don't see it is a bug. ;)

Hello Martijn

Thank you for your email.

If you right click on the second return and from the activations menu,
select extend source activation up.

Best Regards,
Nicholas Zounis
Sparx Systems Pty Ltd

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 02:20:12 pm »
Well, I guess it (Sparx' take on this) makes sense... If the product allows you to do this, then it isn't totally unreasonable to view it as not a bug.

Still, (IMHO) this should be featured prominently in the documentation - enough that you should not have had to ask the question in the first place.

David
No, you can't have it!

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 02:47:04 pm »
This is the topic you want:

http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/EAUserGuide/index.html?sequenceelementactivation.htm

Admittedly, it wasn't easy to locate via index entries, so I have beefed them up. Changes will wash through in the product Help for build 818.

As regards the bug report, I haven't seen it, but it might be worth resubmitting it with stress on the fact that it the interpretation of the alt fragment that is a problem, rather than just extending the activation.

Regards

Roy
Best Regards, Roy