Author Topic: A message interface?  (Read 494 times)

gpc

• EA User
    • View Profile
A message interface?
« on: October 28, 2007, 07:02:00 pm »
Hi,
I need to document a package that provides an interface as a list of signals that can be sent and received. I'm not too sure how to best do this.
Declaring the package as a class and grouping the the signals into <<interfaces>> seems too confusing - it took me a while to identify that we weren't dealing with actual interface implementations. Also the signal / call in the sequence diagram doesn't seem to get handled any differently, so again they appear as methods, which they definitely are not.
Any help? suggestions? pointers to ref material?
Thanks.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: A message interface?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 08:32:37 pm »
so again they appear as methods, which they definitely are not.

I think what you want are "Receptions". Have a look in the UML 2.1.1 Superstructure, section 13.3.23:

Notation

Receptions are shown using the same notation as for operations with the keyword «signal»

The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

gpc

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: A message interface?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:25:00 am »
Thanks KP,
It would be nice if selecting signal added the <<signal>> stereotype, but I can work with that. That will help with some of the confusion, but I'm still not sure about the term <<interface>> for the grouping of signals. Interface in Java and C++ conjures up notions of something more concrete, i.e. something that will be 'implemented' rather than just a list of signals?
Example, I have MyLib and MyLibControl <<interface>> contains <<signal>> START_REQ, START_CNF, STOP_REQ, STOP_CNF.
Is that the best way to go?
thanks.