Author Topic: collaboration occurrence  (Read 2443 times)

frankk

• EA User
    • View Profile
collaboration occurrence
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:53:09 am »
I've searched and found that other people have asked this question, but I could not find an answer:

How do you draw a collaboration occurrence in EA?

thomaskilian

Re: collaboration occurrence
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:09:34 am »
Try setting Advanced/Multiplicity in the Properties window.

frankk

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:18:36 am »
Sorry, TK, I don't get that at all. Set the multiplicity on what element? How does multiplicity change the type of element?

thomaskilian

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:27:41 am »
I suppose your collaboration is some Class element. Select it in the browser. Open the Properties/Advanced window and select a Multiplicity from the drop down. It should appear like {n..m} in the diagram.

If that's not what you desire I can't help.

frankk

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:48:15 am »
I think we're not talking about the same thing. A "Collaboration Occurrence" is a specific type of element, i.e., a reference to a Collaboration. It looks like an ellipse with the name of the target collaboration centered inside it. It is not a Class element.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:39:11 am »
EA uses [a variation of?] a boundary for this.

I cannot remember where it is in the documentation, but it is (or at least used to be in EA 6.x) there.

David

[EDIT: Ha, there it is! Look up Collaboration | Element in EA  Help - this works with EA 7.0 build 817 - to find the general topic. Then check Collaboration Occurrence - there is a hyperlink on the above page - to see how to reference this instance elsewhere.]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:42:33 am by Midnight »
No, you can't have it!

frankk

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:42:59 am »
Well, you can create a boundary, then change its shape to an ellipse and its outline to 'dashed'. However, the label is still at the top (i.e., not centered). It would be nice to create a genuine coll. occ. semi-automatically.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:00:35 am »
Well, you can create a boundary, then change its shape to an ellipse and its outline to 'dashed'. However, the label is still at the top (i.e., not centered). It would be nice to create a genuine coll. occ. semi-automatically.

Well...

It is genuine (in that EA sees it and can reference it) and it issemi-automatic (in that it is certainly not fully automatic).

As to how EA renders collaborations, please look up the EA Help file references I cited. The EA notations - at least those in the EA Help file - correspond to those in the UML 2.1.1 Superstructure, diagrams 9.11 and 9.12, which seem to be what you describe.

David
No, you can't have it!

frankk

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 10:14:32 am »
Yes, I had seen that Help page, which led me to ask how to create that kind of an element :-)

By 'genuine' I meant one that (i) appears in the toolbox and (ii) display "Collaboration Occurrence" in its properties.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 01:14:18 pm »
Try holding Ctrl while dragging a collaboration onto a diagram.  If you select to create as instance you'll get what you want.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

frankk

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 03:52:54 am »
Sorry, drag it from where? I tried from the Toolbox and from the Project Browser and did not get an instance.

thomaskilian

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 03:55:13 am »
I guess from the browser. That will give the choice to convert it it an instance.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 04:19:29 am »
It has to be from the Browser. In order to have an instance, of something you need to specify the 'something' involved. The toolbox has 'generic' items, which do not yet have an identity. The browser has 'concrete' items, each of which has been set up. When you control-drag one of these onto a diagram you are creating an instance of the specified item.
No, you can't have it!

frankk

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 12:25:01 pm »
Sorry again, but I'm still not getting a Coll. Occ. I can live without it.

thomaskilian

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:23:37 am »
Is it that you expect the multiplicity to occur in the collaboration element? Then you should report a bug to Sparx. Neither the collab nor its instance show the multiplicty. It was already missing in Nodes and other elements where it now appearing after a fix.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:26:01 am by thomaskilian »