Author Topic: XSD to UML mapping  (Read 705 times)

thomas.kilian

XSD to UML mapping
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:13:42 am »
I have a question to the UML gurus out there. EA's mapping of XSD to UML does not seem to be the be-all and end-all. Right now I wonder how an <xsd:annotation> is represented best. EA is simply stuffing everything into stereotyped attributes. But annotations are not flat. The actually represent a structure. Inside you find <documentation> (along with lang attribute) and inside <documentation> there might be more. Now: EA's approach is not useable in this direction. Except you limit yourself to an extend I would not want. I searched quite a while for XSD-UML mapping in the web but could not find anything near to usable. And definitely I wouldn't like to reinvent the wheel...

Any ideas or cross-references are welcome.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: XSD to UML mapping
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:35:45 am »
You really need to search the forum on this one. This has been a (perceived) weakness of EA's approach to XSD for some time.

Try importing a well-formed XSD schema that includes such an annotation into EA. It can be enlightening, but I don't think you'll be any happier afterwards.

So, make a feature request to Sparx. This has been done before, but it clearly has not yet reached critical mass. More requests might serve to convince the Sparxians that the time has come to address this.

David

PS: You may have noticed that there are no more gurus out here. We're all on our own now.   :-X
No, you can't have it!

thomas.kilian

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 07:53:00 am »
I did search the forum and it contained nothing. My question is less EA-related than a general one. So I still have my receiver tuned. Waiting for feedback...

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
No, you can't have it!

thomas.kilian

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:39 pm »
As I said: I searched the forum. And these two threads did not help. On the web there's also almost nothing (a master thesis from a Vienna university dated 2003, a profile from xmlmodelling.com with not much contents dated 3/4 year ago). So my question is (again) not EA related. Although Sparx has made some effort to create a UML profile for XSD (btw. in the toolbox there are two different ones - why?) this is definitely not the answer to all questions (e.g. the <documentation>). Does anyone know about activities at OMD or somewhere else?

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:20:10 am »
Like I said,

It can be enlightening, but I don't think you'll be any happier afterwards.
I wish it were otherwise. Still, it was probably worth the chance it might have helped. I agree that there is precious little else to go on out there.

David
No, you can't have it!