Author Topic: One, two, many stereotypes  (Read 221 times)

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
One, two, many stereotypes
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:28:49 pm »
In our work building UML models from Progress ABL we are running into a situation where there are links between components which share a lot of commonality, but which also have unique features.  E.g., running another procedure, running an internal procedure in another procedure, running an internal procedure in the same procedure, running a function in another procedure, and running a function in the same procedure are all closely related in many ways and yet each has its own particular aspects.

So, the question is, should these be:
1) all a single stereotype and rely on examination for differences;
2) all a single stereotype with tags to indicate differences;
3) a unique stereotype for each; or
4) multiple stereotypes with one primary and others secondary to indicate differences.

I know that no one can actually answer the question for our particular circumstances, but I would be interested in what considerations and best practices you would apply in making the choice.

The main purpose here is to be able to apply decoration by stereotype and inclusion in a diagram by stereotype in order to produce a variety of most useful diagrams to purpose in a largely automated way.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: One, two, many stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:08:45 am »
Hi Thomas,

I won't attempt to propose the 'best' way to do this. Let's wait for others to weigh in on that.

But given the fact that EA is still inconsistent in handling of multiple stereotypes - some legacy traps from when it only allows a single one - I think you might seriously consider tags.

As to decoration, if you use shape scripts - a real two edged blade, I admit - you can test tagged values and adjust appearance accordingly.

Unfortunately shape scripts have yet to allow multiple decorations, or use of the 'canned' icons that EA uses for its own rendering.

David
No, you can't have it!