Author Topic: Connector tags/continuations  (Read 766 times)

DanG83616

• EA User
    • View Profile
Connector tags/continuations
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:24:31 am »
I'd like to show info flows between components without having to snake the line all the way though the diagram.

source---|tag|   <mess of other stuff in drawing> |tag|----destination

Does anyone know how to do this in EA?

I don't know what UML has for this, either.

Thanks, Dan

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
Re: Connector tags/continuations
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:47:00 am »
I'm not sure what the *right* answer is, but I would think that if you drew the line snaked through the diagram and then used the right-click option to hide the segments in the middle, you could add a small note at each end with a label.  That way, the connector does actually connect, but visually on the diagram, the whole line doesn't show.

DanG83616

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:07:19 am »
That actually did exactly what I wanted. I didn't even have to add a small note. Never noticed the right-click option for hiding a segment.

I'd like to do the same between diagrams, too. Any advice?

Thanks again,
Dan

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:38:54 am »
Well, suppose you wanted to show component A connected to component B with B on another diagram.  Put B into the diagram, shrink it to minimum size, and then put a note over the top of it saying on what diagram to find B.  Do the same in reverse on the other diagram.  Optionally, I suppose you might be able to adjust the properties of B to make it invisible, but that might make it difficult to make changes and I'm not sure it is possible.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:58:50 am »
It's not quite the same thing, but you can create a hyperlink with no visible icon or boundary (just text) and superimpose it on another element. It will act like a 'button' to reach the destination, which could be another diagram.

One thing to be aware of though. Don't turn off the visible aspect of the hyperlink until the last possible minute, after you've set everything up and positioned it perfectly. Even then be extremely careful not to click anywhere else (other than the hyperlink) where you could change the selected element until you are positive you are done. It is really easy to lose an invisible link on a diagram, and very difficult to recover it. Clicking the link does not usually select it again, but instead transfers focus to the target. [One guess how I discovered this...]
No, you can't have it!