Author Topic: Hierarchy issue  (Read 618 times)

andre.jager

• EA Novice
  • -
    • View Profile
Hierarchy issue
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:49:47 am »
I don't know if my problem is by design or by definition for that matter, but I can't seem to solve it.

I create components of 3rd Party products I deploy with our product. Be it commercial or open source. I create a component for all licenses. I do have a component for the Apache 2.0 License, for example. I also have an Apache Webserver component. I create a dependency between the Apache Webserver component and the Apache 2.0 License component. No HTTP server without a license so to say.

I go through all this trouble to be able to track on all licenses in the project and see which licenses are all needed at deployment. When I click on the Apache Webserver component I see which licenses is needed in the hierarchy window. In the hierarchy window I then click on the Apache 2.0 license and I see all products using the Apache 2.0 license. The CastleProject for example.

However, when I create a deployment diagram and I drop an instantiated component of the Apache Webserver into an Execution Environment container, the hierarchy tree is broken. When I click on the Apache Webserver object I don't see the license attached to the Apache Webserver component (from which the Apache Webserver instance was created). For that matter, I cannot see where the Apache Webserver is instantiated from at all.

Is there a way to navigate from an instance to not-instance (can't come up with an appropriate english word for the moment) to its dependencies.

thanks, André

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hierarchy issue
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:06:10 am »
The classifier/instance link isn't built in to the hierarchy view, but you could send a feature request in for that.

Other alternatives are:
  • I believe in the context menu of an instance there is a find classifier in project browser command.
  • Use some other sort of connector explicitly between the classifier and instance.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:17:37 am by simonm »
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

andre.jager

• EA Novice
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:09:47 am »
I found the context menu option. However, this is not a solution.

Explicit connector will be forgotten. No option either.

I'll go for the feature request.

It is so dead important for us to track on these licenses to avoid surprises in the future. Do you have a link for me where I can place the feature request?

thanks, André

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:01:52 am »
Use the Feature Request link below the Support link near the bottom of any forum page.

The position and font of the link can make it difficult to notice until after you've found it the first time.
No, you can't have it!