Author Topic: How do I reference framework files  (Read 492 times)

jsimpson

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
How do I reference framework files
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:39:59 am »
I'm new to the practice of UML and am using it for a networked actionscript application.

How do I go about having classes declare inheritance of framework classes like flash.display.Sprite, or go about having a class realize flash.events.IEventDispatcher.

Also inside the UML diagrams when creating relationships between different objects I am unfamiliar with the terms used, is there a document that describes what they mean? For example I had never heard the term Realize to describe extending an interface.

Thanks!

Kevin G. Watson

• EA User
  • I love EVERYTHING including Microsoft
    • View Profile
Re: How do I reference framework files
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:17:58 am »
Hi'ya... I've gotta ask; where did you hear the term 'Realize' used to describe extending an interface? It's plainly false, a class realizes an interface. Inheritance is used to specialize (extend) an interface.

You can set the superclass from the property dialog; right click the class and select properties. If you want to show this diagrammatically then you will need to lmport the framework library. If it is just a few, you could create the framework classes in a reoperate package.

EA's help system and mentoring do a fairly good description of the relationships... tho a little short on examples. Your might find a good basic book on UML in ya library might be usefull

Kevin [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

jsimpson

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:58:46 am »
Thanks Kevin! I've never heard someone use the term realize at all. I'm a technical artist working mostly with 3d character rigging, scripting, tool generation, texture painting, etc.

I've done flash programming to pay for college and taken 4-5 programming classes. Covered Java, C++, Data Structures, Physically based modeling, and developed a ray tracer.

Anyway that just a bit about me, the reason I used the term realize was I didn't know what the different terms mean like Association and Direct Association... so I created some connects and exported the code to see what it did.

Using the term realize from the class to an interface produced the code 'extends interface'. But I'm not familar with the composition or nest, etc. Got me a Learning UML 2.0 by O'Reilly so maybe in time.

Thanks again.

Kevin G. Watson

• EA User
  • I love EVERYTHING including Microsoft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:48:36 am »
Ooh! I thought it might have been here!!! [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Kevin
 [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] Sabaticalling on Touchless machines and personal fitness interactions  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]