Author Topic: Business entity not a stereotyped class?  (Read 580 times)

Adrian Cook

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Business entity not a stereotyped class?
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:06:15 pm »
Hi folks,

I want to create a business analysis model using EA 7.5 to show how my business use cases are implemented. I found the Business Modeling diagram type so I created a diagram of that type and dragged a Business Entity from the Business Modeling toolbox onto the diagram. The icon looks right, and the Stereotype field says "business entity", but when I pop open its properties dialog it seems that it is a stereotyped Object rather than a stereotyped Class as I would have expected.

More to the point, the properties dialog contains no tab that allows me to add attributes (kinda essential for an entity!). I suspect I would have got this if "business entity" was a stereotyped Class rather than an Object. Any idea why a business entity is defined as an Object rather than a Class? It doesn't make sense to me.

It turns out that if I right-click on the business entity in the diagram, there is an Attributes menu item that allows me to add attributes to the thing, but I would have expected that I'd be able to get at the attributes via the entity's properties dialog (can't even see them in there let alone change them).

Thanks,
Adrian

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Business entity not a stereotyped class?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:37:54 pm »
Adrian,

Your observation is correct, most business modelling elements are objects and not classes.
I'm not sure why, because I don't know the method that is implemented here.

Geert

Adrian Cook

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:51:31 am »
Is there anyone from Sparx monitoring this list who can answer my question? Is there anyone out there at all who's using this Business Modeling notation? (And I'm NOT referring to BPMN.) I'm getting the impression that no one is using this notation.

Adrian

Aaron B

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:25:08 am »
Hi Adrian,

I'm not very familiar with this area, but I'm guessing that this is similar in concept to the basic "entity" analysis stereotype.
http://www.sparxsystems.com/uml_tool_guide/uml_dictionary/entity.html

An entity is modeled as an Object by default, but can also be modeled as a Class.  See the following page:
http://www.sparxsystems.com/uml_tool_guide/uml_dictionary/createanentity.html

You should be able to apply this same method to create a business entity as a Class.  Just create a new class and assign the stereotype "business entity".

HTH

beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »
I think the reason for having objects is that it mimics an analysis. That is, you already have existing objects which you want to show. Using MVC as modeling approach would imply to start with classes, so emphasizing that  you are going to model something new from scratch.

I try to picture existing systems using the business processes existing at the start of the project. Here I just point out that some entities exist without adding detailed information. Having these details would hinder the following modeling process more than it would help.

b.