Author Topic: [Data Modeling] Physical model & connector missing  (Read 438 times)

CodeCalibre

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
[Data Modeling] Physical model & connector missing
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:34 pm »
I am new to EA. I know this might simple to some of you but it's been bothering me for days.

I am making an ERD diagram for the software I am developing. I was trying to emulate the example show below from the SparxSystem's documentation:

reference: http://www.sparxsystems.com/resources/uml_datamodel.html

As you can see, I have no problem in setting the stereotype of the package. So, first thing I noticed is when I am looking for the same database component as seen above. The one below is a Component control found in the Component section of the Toolbox. I just type the stereotype "Database" for it. How do I get the one similar on Sparx's example?

Another problem, so since I used this component for the meantime, when I try to make a connector from the Physical model to the schema, it doesn't give me a connector similar to the example again. I tried tricking to manually put a solid connector but EA complains its not UML compliant. Help!!!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: [Data Modeling] Physical model & connector mis
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:04:33 pm »
What's the difference between your component and the one shown on the diagram? If they are both components, and they both have the same stereotype then they are the same type of element.

Which type of connector are you trying to add?
I would first look at the example, open the connector, and read the type of connector from the top of the properties dialog.

Geert

CodeCalibre

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:03:30 pm »
What's the difference between your component and the one shown on the diagram? If they are both components, and they both have the same stereotype then they are the same type of element.

Which type of connector are you trying to add?
I would first look at the example, open the connector, and read the type of connector from the top of the properties dialog.

Geert

Hi Geert.

Well obviously. The visual representation of the database component is far different from the image example. The component box has its two small box nudges on the upper left.

And, another difference is that I have the hunch that this different un-ables me to make a valid connector from the physical model box to the package.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »
I think you'll find that the Sparx diagram shows a UML 1 type component - whereas CC's diagram shows a UML 2 component.

I think I recall a note somewhere (in the OMG documentation) that they changed the rendering because tool suppliers found the old one too difficult.

As to the UML non-compliance, that may also be related to UML 1-2 differences - however, I'm not aware of ANY UML compliant associations between Packages and Components.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!