Author Topic: RTF Title Sheet  (Read 814 times)

rmacior

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
RTF Title Sheet
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:42:37 am »
Is there a setting that will include a title page when generating an RTF document on a model when using a data model template, or on any template?
Thanks,

alesliehughes

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: RTF Title Sheet
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:22 am »
No, there isn't an option to include a title page but you can create a copy of the template, and insert one manually.

Alistair

Saul

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »
It would be really nice to be able to insert a title page with parameterised title, subtitle, version etc from the model.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:06 pm »
At the EA User Group last year I've saw someone create a title page template and use it by creating a package with the following attributes used under the Master Document:
Title : Package Name
Subtitle: Alias
Author: Author
Version: Version

They then referenced the package using a model document and used the title page template. It had the standard company title page with logo etc. Seemed to work fine.

I prefer to put the first few pages of the document including the title page in a linked document attached to an artifact and put it under the master document package. Then when I generate I get the following;
  • Title Page
  • Table of Contents
  • Introduction
  • [-] Purpose
    [-] Scope
    [-] Background
    [-] Objectives

I found trying to put all the information into model elements and use a template too cumbersome and it was easier just to edit a linked document.  
[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Shadow

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:39 am »
Hey Sunshine,

I would love it if you had an example of how you link those artifacts to the master document.  An xmi file example would be ideal but any advice would be great.

I've been trying to achieve this for a while but without much success.

Michael.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:04:21 am by michael.wojtaszak »

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Amicorum omnia communia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:39 am »
Sorry can’t provide an example as all the ones I have are client confidential, so will try to provide some instructions to follow;

1. First of all follow instructions to create master document from the on-line help
http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/8.0/report_generation/create_master_document.html

2. Create a new template for master document by starting with a blank template and  selecting the “package>Element>Linked Document” tag in the template sections explorer window. So you should end up with a template that looks like this
package>
element>
linked document>
<linked document
<element
<package

Move that Linked Document Tag up as far as you can by use of the button with the little hand pointing up. Save that document template as “My Master”.
Open up the properties on the master document package you created in the first step go to the tagged values tab. On the RTF Template select the new master template “My Master”. This allows Document Artifacts with Linked Documents to be included.

3. Open the diagram created under the master document package. Create a “Document Artifact” by dragging that icon from the documentation toolbox onto the documentation diagram. Name it “Title and Introduction Pages”

4. Right click on the document artifact and select “Create Linked Document”. You get a dialog saying “New Linked Document”. In copy template field leave as none and click ok.

5. In the newly created linked document put you title page, Table of contents, Introduction section and the like. If you find the built in editor difficult to use create that content in MS Word and then copy and paste into the linked document.

You can then add the model documents and reference packages as described in the help.

Once all that is done you can click on the master document click on F8 and generate you document with the title page, table of contents, introduction sections and the elements of the model you want in one easy step.

Hope those instructions are easy to follow.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:08:08 am by phenzell »

Shadow

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »
thanks, that helped

It took a little while to get things working but i got there in the end.

I was stuck on creating the table of contents document artifact.  The table of contents was greyed out... i finally figured out that you have to add a heading (e.g. heading1, heading2) in order to use the table of contents.

I do have a question though, how do you get the headings (within the model document) to continue with the numbering used within the document artifacts?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:25:47 pm by michael.wojtaszak »

Shadow

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:46:58 am »
I worked it out... ;D

Each time i was creating a document artifact or template for the model document, they had their style changed separately to one another.  So when the artifacts and model document was generated through the master document, the numbering was reseting at each artifact/model document.

Solution
In order to make sure that heading numbering continue for each artifact/model document, they all should be based off the same template (i.e. normal.rdf)

You have to create a new template (e.g. normal), import the normal.rdf file (e.g. C:\Program Files\Sparx Systems\EA\DocTemplates), make your style changes (e.g. heading numbering), and export the normal.rdf file back.

More info on changing the normal.rdf go to http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/8.0/report_generation/rtftemplatesdialog.html

Each time you create a artifact or model document it will based it on the normal.rdf file.

I ended up finding the solution to this issue that i faced.  To go http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/8.0/report_generation/section_numbering_in_virtual_d.html
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:47:33 am by michael.wojtaszak »