Author Topic: How do you organise your project trees?  (Read 409 times)

markl

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
How do you organise your project trees?
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »
Hello. I have a problem organising my project trees.

When decomposing use cases into activities, do you store the activities under the use case, or do you create a general package for activities?

In the first case, activities are clearly associated with the use case, but are more difficult to reuse, in the second, easier to reuse but dissociated from the use case ...

philchudley

• EA User
  • UML/EA Principal Consultant / Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: How do you organise your project trees?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:44 pm »
It depends!

Usually I would place my Activities in a separate package (one Activity diagram per package) and then hyperlink the Activity diagrams to the use case diagram

This provides more flexibility in version control since version control is linked to the package, BUT if you wish to output the process flow immediately after the use case details in an RTF document, then you will have to place the activity diagram as a child of the use case as you are now doing.

So, there is no "silver bullet" solution, your project structure is somewhat guided by your version control and/or documenation requiremements.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Phil
follow me on Twitter

@SparxEAGuru

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: How do you organise your project trees?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:08 pm »
We also tend to have a separate package for each abstraction layer, so If I were to use activities to implement use cases then I would have them in a different package (with all necessary links to ensure traceability of course)

Geert