Author Topic: View vs Model  (Read 339 times)

dave.ruden

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
View vs Model
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:03:43 am »
I am finding it difficult to get information on the difference between a "View" and a "Model".  E.g. when setting up an EA Project using the model-wizard, I can have it include a Component-Model as well as a Component-View.  Or I can take a Analysis Model or Analysis View.

Can someone help explain why I might work with a "Model" item vs a "View" item.
Thanks!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: View vs Model
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:21:30 am »
You are absolutely free in creating your model. What I do is to have the root standing for a single project. Beneath I do have three views: CIM, PIM and PSM standing for the abstraction levels. CIM contains more or less informal things (requirements, processes, etc.). PIM holds the logical model. Actors and Use Cases are placed either in CIM or PIM depending on the project context. The PSM finally stores deployment information.

But of course you can take any completely different view of what you like to model.

q.

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:05:52 pm »
Starting from scratch, you create a Project. Within your project, you create one, or more than one, root node model. You can call these what you like, but there is no automatic difference between them. They are simple containers for the model structure.

Under the root node, you can create either:

• A context-specific Model (or Model Package), using the Model Wizard; this model contains a framework of packages, diagrams and elements from which you can develop your model, or
  • A View (NOT through the Model Wizard) which is not generated with any components. It starts life completely empty, and is there for you to add another layer of classification within your model. Five of the Views have special icons, but these are purely visual flags in the Project Browser, to remind you that "Ah - there is where I am creating all my Use Case stuff".
You can then go on to create the model structure underneath the Model Packages or Views, noting that:

• You can create a hierarchy of Model Packages under the View or the top Model Package
  • You cannot create a View underneath anything other than a root node.
BUT we come to this variation of the Model Package called a Simple UML View. Regard these as Views, but with three differences:

• A SUV is generated with an empty diagram
  • There are three extra SUVs - Requirements, Analysis and Testing
  • You can create SUVs at any level of the model, not just under a root node.
Don't get too wrapped up with Views - they are there to give you a little extra flexibility in slicing and dicing your model structure, but they are not vital components.
Best Regards, Roy

sdodd

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:53:18 am »
I have just started using EA on a deeply embedded medical device project. Are there any EA model (Examples) in this area which I can download?
Regards,
Steve :)