Author Topic: Tagged Value Types  (Read 1281 times)

fatih

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Tagged Value Types
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:54 pm »
Hi.

I would like to ask about extending stereotypes.

I wanted to have a new Requirement element with some tagged values attached, so that I can edit or default their values for each new such element instead of having to add all the tagged values for every such element.

So, I did these:

- Defined new tagged values from Settings > UML Types
- With the model wizard, I added a new MDG Technology Builder Basic Template, within which I added a new stereotype extending from Requirement element. I also added a toolbox that contains this element type.
- I generated the MDG Technology from the necessary xml files into an MTS file, and then I did Tools > MDG Technology Import, and restarted EA.
- I was able to add the new Requirement Type, which had the set of tagged values.

However, the values for the tagged types were displayed (in a report or diagram) only when they were edited and different from default values.

So, is there a way to make sure, a valueOf field in a document template displays the value of a tagged type in such an element?

Also, is there a tagged value type like CheckList, which can provide a list of values, among which one can choose more than one, so that it will be displayed as a comma separated list of enabled values? (For example, a tagged type 'Team' can have a subset of values from A, B, C from a checkbox group, like Team=A, C or Team=C)

Thanks in advance.

fatih

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Tagged Value Types
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:38:01 pm »

Just one edit:

When I remove 'default' values from the tagged value type details, they will all be empty unless edited by user, which will make those fields visible in the documentation.

But still, it would be nice to have a default value, which would be visible in rtf documentation.

And of course, it would still be good to have a CheckList, where we can select a subset of options, which would be displayed as the list of selected options, rather than Complete/Incomplete.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 09:28:01 pm »
I can't answer the RTF-related questions.

Regarding the multi-select: check the RefGUID and Checklist predefined tagged value types.

q.

fatih

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:00:01 pm »

thanks.

though, CheckList provides a good interface to select among options, but the output is Incomplete/Complete, regarding whether all options are checked.

and RefGUID seems to be referring to elements.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:47:44 pm »
Yep. By far not perfect, but that's all you can eat. Unfortunately you can't bring your own food, which means that it's not possible to extend it with your own tools.

q.

fatih

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 12:03:25 am »
Yep. By far not perfect, but that's all you can eat. Unfortunately you can't bring your own food, which means that it's not possible to extend it with your own tools.

q.

:)

well, there are so many features. i thought it might be possible somehow, but i guess it's better to keep it simple.