Author Topic: Does BPMN has decomposition of a process  (Read 954 times)

alex719388

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Does BPMN has decomposition of a process
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:27:43 pm »
I am coming from idef0 and you can decompose a process, browse to it and then return back to parent process
does EA BPMN has this feature?

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Does BPMN has decomposition of a process
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:37:08 pm »
Yes. Add  a "Business Process" to your BPMN diagram. Sparx will create a composite (child) diagram by default. Double click on the business process and the newly created diagram will be displayed. You can then add "Activities" to the diagram as required and make them composites as required (right mouse click and select "New Child Diagram -> Composite Structure Diagram")...

alex719388

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:41:40 pm »
cool. thanks
but how can i see the inputs and outputs of the parent process inside the decomposition diagram?

it is empty no matter whatever is connected to the parent

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »
It depends how your users will be viewing your content. If your exporting to html then they can use their browsers back button to go back to the diagram they have just viewed - ie the parent.

In Sparx they should add the 'Diagram' toolbar to their toolbars and use the back button it provides.

You might also add a 'hyperlink' (see the common toolbox) to your child diagram that links back to the parent diagram...This way your users could always navigate back to the parent regardeless of how they have navigated to the child diagram...

alex719388

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:12:15 pm »
it's about designing. When I am adding  Composite Structure Diagram, it's blank, there is no inputs there. But actually it should inherit parent inputs, otherwise what's is the point?

Nizam Mohamed

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:00:16 pm »
One option is you can add the same business process( parent) to the composite diagram and show its input parameters in it,

You may change the default appearance (F4) to display the parent activity as just a frame.

alex719388

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:35:09 pm »
yeah but this is not automatic...

when i was using KBSI idef0 tools i can see all inputs in the child diagram

if i nee to do manually, that means i will have to change two places whenever there is an edit, right?

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 06:11:08 pm »
If what you are after is navigation from a child diagram to its parent then use the hyperlink as suggested. The hyperlink uses the internal GUID (an internal id) of the diagram you are linking to (the parent diagram in this case). You can change the parent diagram and move it into different packages - the link will still work.

There is no automatic mechanisum (other than the back buttons discussed) to navigate back to a parent diagram.

You can obviously automatically navigate to the child by double clicking on the parent.

ms73

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 02:48:26 am »
Alex, i have exactly same question/problem as you - were you able to resolve this?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:48:48 am by ms73 »

alex719388

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »
no, looks like you have to manually update parent/child diagrams in case of changes.

To put it simple - the child doesn't care what is in the parent

also funny people here don't understand it - it's not about navigation, it's about consistency of hierarchical data

ms73

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 03:06:53 am »
Thanks Alex.
I'd think it is a big problem. For large scope systems you'll have large diagrams (and you'd have to use hierarchy to make these readable) and you would need to rely on smart tool to help you with consistency. for small projects - you do not need smart tool, you can use any drawing tool