Author Topic: [SysML] Activities  (Read 1607 times)

bungle77

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
[SysML] Activities
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:00:09 am »
Hi I have some doubts about the use of SySML activites and Activity Diagrams in EA
Example:
i define  a BDD of Activities.
I have the Activity1 that is made (partAssociation relation) by Activity2 and Activity3. Activity 3 is made of Activity5 and Activity4
My questions are?
1) can I populate   automatically the activity diagram of Activity1  with an action node for Activity 2 and one for Activty3?
2) How can i define an input or output pin for an Activity? It seems i can do it only for actions.
3) How can associated a type to an object node for an Activity?
4) When i create the Activity Diagram for Activity 3, how can i show the pins of Activity 3 in this diagram?
5) How can i associate a block to a partition?

Thanks,
Francesco
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:19:26 am by francesco.inglima »

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
Re: [SysML] Activities
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:31 am »
1. I don't think it's possible for activities; blocks only. Send in a feature request.
2. Use activity parameters
3. Ctrl+L
4. Not easily. You can try dropping the activity onto its own child diagram, make it fill the whole diagram, show structural elements, and make it non-selectable. Not entirely satisfactory - worth another feature request.
5. Ctrl+L
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:53:03 pm »
Hi,

1. Define an Activity
Usually you define and specify an activity, which is a reusable behavior, in an activity- or/and bbd (only definition) -diagram. An Activity may have parameters and a behavior described by its Activity Diagram.
Parameters are like formal parameters defined by the specification in a programming language. In essence it's the specification of the parameter which might be passed in case of an invocation/call.

2. The usage of an Activity
Usually you use an Activity inside an Activity Diagram. Just simply drag the activity from the canvas to the diagram and make sure you have chosen to create an Invocation. You see the result as a fork in the right down corner of the shape.
Now you have a usage / invocation of an activity. It's up to you to use pins to visualize the exchange of parameters. Each Activity parameter may result in a PIN which is the actual parameter with current value in a programming language. You may also say: This is the invocation/call of a behavior.

In SysML and also in UML it's often useful to distinguish between the specification of a reusable behavior and the call / usage of the behavoir. The usage may pass special values to the Activity.

In short:
- Definition is an Activity with the specification of its behavior and parameters
- Invocation / Usage is the current usage of the Activity from e.g another Activity with possible actual values.
- A Parameter is the specification which parameters may be passed to the Activity. Activities may have parameters
- A Pin of an Activity Invocation represents the currently passed value of the parameter. Activity Invocations may have Pins.

Hope it helps.

Helmut

Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

bungle77

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:02:31 pm »
so you are saying parameters is like flow port for a block, pin is like item flow?

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:16:17 pm »
Hi,

I think you could put is this way.

Parameter is the specification what is possible to pass and Pins specifies what is passed in the current context.

Helmut

jplusip

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:04:03 am »
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I too have a (very basic) question about Activities in SysML: How do I make an activity block in a BDD in EA? I don't see it in the frame to the left where I can drag in blocks, actors, interfaces, signals, etc.

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:13:14 pm »
Hi,

usually you simple drag and drop an Activity from the project browser on the canvas of a bbd. Be sure to use the activity as a link and not as an invocation/instance.

You may also create a new Activity from the toolbox. Make sure the Activity Toolbox is shown (More Tools, Sysml.., Activity). There are also other ways to create a new Activity in a bbd (e.g. Quick Linker, or blank key).

In EA/SysML you usually see no SysML frame.

Helmut

jplusip

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:52 pm »
Thanks!