Author Topic: Add new properties to BPMN Activity  (Read 3641 times)

menrov

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Add new properties to BPMN Activity
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:50:47 pm »
HI, I am trying to add 3 new fields to the BPMN Activity properties. I am trying via MDG Technology but unsuccessful so far. Anyone experience with this and is willing to help? Many thanks

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Add new properties to BPMN Activity
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:32:55 am »
You should explain a bit more what you did exactly and where it failed/what you expected. There are some threads dealing with extending BPMN.

q.

menrov

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:32:22 am »
I have tried to follow the steps mentioned here http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/10/extending_uml_models/non_uml_metatypes.html

but I cannot save the diagram in a Profile. I have added a tagged value but I could not define the specifics. I want to add to the BPMN Activity element a field in which I can capture the duration of the activity.
Hope this helps.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:51:47 am »
If you can't save it as profile you probably have not created it correctly in a <<profile>> package. Verify the steps how you created the profile package and the diagram(s) inside. Maybe this can help: http://community.sparxsystems.com/tutorials/552-24intro-to-creating-a-mdg-file

q.

menrov

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 08:41:46 pm »
Many thanks for the link. I will read and try to apply and let you know. I am on European time zone hence I will respond later. Cheers.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »
NP. I'm located near Berlin :-)

q.

menrov

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »
Hi, was wondering if you are willing to help me with setting up one MDG on my laptop, using my Sparx version (11.2) via an online screen sharing session. I am sue that once I have seen it, I will be able to do it myself and more.

Waiting for your reply. Thanks
Michel

I tried to send a PM but this seemed not feasible.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:46 pm »
Sorry, but no. I'm willing to answer questions to quite some extend. But if I start giving free online lessons I'd be stuck with that for the rest of my life  ;)

q.

menrov

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 12:14:51 am »
I finally managed to create my MDS. But when I reopen the project again, make a minor change and reproduce the MDS, I cannot drop the element onto the diagram. Any ideas?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 01:44:10 am »
It's not clear what you drop when. But generally on older builds you need to restart EA once you made changes to a MDG. Newer ones allow to turn off/on the MDG for the same effect (though it takes about the same time as restarting).

Can you please explain (steps) what you want to drop when and where?

q.

menrov

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:45 am »
OK, I have created a new MTS following the exact instructions, using the basic template.
I have created the Profile with my new stereotype. Not ideal yet as it does not behave as an BPMN activity. But I can use (drop) it on my diagram.
I updated the Diagram and Toolbox pages and created the MTS. I added it to the list of technology (I have version 11.2). I can open new diagram and use my toolbox.
When I open the MDG project again, make small change, follow same steps (incl. reactivating MDG) but when I use my toolbox again, it will not allow me to drop the element on the diagram. Hard to explain without showing the files

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 05:38:29 am »
What do you mean by "can not drop"? Do you see the element in the toolbox? Can you drag it (so its hollow figure moves)? And then can't you drop it on just a specific diagram?

q.

menrov

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:54 am »
Yes, I can see it in the toolbox and I can select and drag it but seems the diagram is not accepting it.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 09:14:42 am »
Hmm. Strange. Can you drop it on another diagram?

q.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 09:41:02 am »
Impossible to troubleshoot without seeing your technology, but one hint: If you are trying to extend a stereotype from a different technology (e.g. "BPMN2.0::Activity"), in your profile make sure your stereotype has an Extends to "«metaclass»Activity" as well as a Generalization to "«stereotype»BPMN2.0::Activity". EA needs both pieces of information. If that doesn't help, send your technology in to Sparx Support and someone will try to figure out the problem.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com