Author Topic: BPMN 2.0 Biz Process vs. Composite Activity  (Read 1762 times)

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
BPMN 2.0 Biz Process vs. Composite Activity
« on: June 12, 2015, 06:20:07 am »
I'm trying to learn the meaning and correct usage of a BPMN 2.0 business process element (eyeglasses in lower right corner) and the difference between that and a composite activity.  I haven't found anything really meaty in the EA help file and we're having quite the argument spirited discussion about whether and where to use a business process element vs. a composite activity element.

I've noticed a few things about the business process element:
  • You can automatically create a child diagram upon creation of the business process.
  • You cannot draw a sequence connector between an activity and a business process.
  • If you have a business process nested within another business process and run a simulation against the parent process, the simulation will not run against the child process.
Now for the composite activity:
  • Will not automatically create a child diagram upon creation of the composite diagram.
  • If you have a composite activity nested within a business process or a composite activity nested inside another composite activity, a simulation will run against all elements.
Thanks in advance for your help.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: BPMN 2.0 Biz Process vs. Composite Activity
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:29:00 am »
The only real differences are the tagged values added by BPMN (and likely mimic the eye glasses/chain symbol for composite with a shape script).

q.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:29:19 am by qwerty »

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:58:28 am »
The only real differences are the tagged values added by BPMN (and likely mimic the eye glasses/chain symbol for composite with a shape script).

q.

If those are the only differences, why do the two elements behave differently with respect to sequence connectors and how they interact with simulaitons (or vice versa)?  :-?

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:03:54 pm »
Just for clarity, I'm assuming you are talking about a BPMN activity and not a UML activity.

I've talked in older threads about the difference, and how it parallels the difference between UML Activities and UML Actions.

A business process is a description of something that can be called. It should not directly be involved in any process flow. To use it on another BPMN process diagram you should be creating an activity to reference it.

In contrast, a composite activity is expanded in-place. It's still part of the flow from the parent process, you've just chosen to expand the definition instead of treating it as an atomic unit. I don't think there's any way to re-use a composite activity (without moving its contents into a business process)
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 03:05:00 am »
Thanks, Simon.  I am talking about a BPMN activity.

I have years of process diagramming experience with other methodologies, but am just starting out with BPMN and am learning it on the fly (trial by fire; no training and only the OMG 2.0 BPMN spec, a few of the highest-rated books (by Bruce Silver and camunda) on Amazon for reference, and all my colleagues know less than I do :o), so forgive me if my questions appear to be simplistic.

Judging from where things are in this company, it's going to be a long, long time before this place will be using BPMN to automate its business processes, if ever.  It's difficult to get people to see the value in diagramming processes by staying true to the BPMN spec.

Michael Preis

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 05:31:27 am »
Don't over-rate things. I have used parts of BPMN as extension to normal use cases by augmenting the activity diagrams with what I thought that made sense. Even with that little I took there was a huge improvement in readability of activity diagrams. Just the pool/lane thing gives you so much more structure. The rest comes with time. Training on the job.

q.