Author Topic: Illustrate in BPMN Object Class and members  (Read 1424 times)

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
Illustrate in BPMN Object Class and members
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:48:23 am »
The company for which I'm creating BPMN diagrams is just getting started with BPMN; my group is doing nothing with UML.  In fact, our diagrams may never see the light of day as far as development goes.  BUT... My managements wants one diagram that will be suitable for presentation to IT execs and business executives, yet also will be useful for developers and business process improvement folks.  They want to be able to decompose a process into deeper and deeper layers to see more detail.  That being said, I know BPMN is not a decomposition methodology, but perhaps there are techniques I can use to communicate what I need.

Is there a way I can visually illustrate in BPMN, without making executives' eyes cross, that a collection of shipping documents (electronic and/or physical) breaks down into a manifest, an air waybill, certificate of origin, etc. and show how some of this collection will go to one activity and some of it to a differnt activity?  Would I need to create subclasses?  If so, how would I illustrate visually within a BPMN diagram that SubClass A1 and SubClass A2 are children of SubClass A?

I might be on the opposite side of the world from many of you. As I write this, it's 1:37 PM Central Daylight Time on Friday, 12 June 2015, which is probably several hours behind you.  Be that as it may, I won't be able to read or respond to any messages until 15 June 2015 in my location.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Michael Preiss

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Illustrate in BPMN Object Class and members
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:35:10 am »
Have a look at Archimate. I guess it's a bit more pleasing to executives.

q.

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:39:49 am »
Thanks, Q. I don't think I have that option. I have to use the tools I'm given.  Plus, the management of the group I'm in don't want to have to maintain multiple sets of diagrams in one tool, let alone two.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:27:37 pm »
Archimate comes along with EA so it's included like BPMN.  Anyhow, if you're bound to BPMN (which isn't the worst choice) just take a subset of what it offers. I'd recommend to look for a consultant that can give advice. Just asking for group standards on a forum with no real plan will likely crash your project. Without captain every ship is doomed.

q.

SilverSage

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:39:39 pm »
Welcome to my nightmare, q.  Our "captain" is more like a private and is clueless as far as BPM goes; he understands enough to be dangerous.  No consultants or product training for my group.  We've already asked for some tool training and the silence spoke volumes.  Because of the way this company has chosen to implement this project, it's going to go south anyway.  Penny wise and pound foolish, like many U.S. companies.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:02:49 am »
I guess this is a world wide problem. The German company my wife works for shows the same symptoms. My condolences ...

q.