Author Topic: Painful editing on MS Surface  (Read 885 times)

José Farinha

• EA User
    • View Profile
Painful editing on MS Surface
« on: February 08, 2018, 04:53:43 am »

I've been using EA 13.5 on an MS Surface 4 and I've had lots of problems with the usability of the graphics. Problems that have not only to do with the tiny size that things tend to have on Surface (I already have a pair of eyeglasses for that).

For instance, the resizing of an element "gets crazy" very frequently, the element either squeezes or enlarges by its own initiative and you can't do anything else with it. Some other times it happens the resizing doesn't even work at all.

Moving elements by touching (either with the finger or with the pen) doesn't work as well very often. Only using the pad. But when you go to the pad you've already lost some time with the other methods, which are more natural and therefore used first.

Some other commonly used graphical operations don't work as well most of the times: moving the canvas by swiping, selecting multiple elements, for instance.

Definitely, it seems to me there are lots of compatibility problems between EA and MS Surface.
Has anyone experienced the same?
Does anyone know if EA 14 will come with a better adaptability to MS Surface?

Thanks for your attention and best regards.
José

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Painful editing on MS Surface
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:54:43 pm »
I see spec for surface pro 4 has  12.3 inch screen with resolution of 2,736x1,824-pixel touchscreen display. Admit it 12.3 inches isn't big enough when working with Sparx EA or any other graphical tool is it?

Like you I found the size of the icons in the toolboxes too small when using high resolutions like 3200x1800. I reduced the screen resolution down to say 1920x1080 so the icons are bigger. To be honest those higher resolutions aren't any good on small screen for me and my eyes either.

Looks like you are trying to use touch screen for some functions. Interesting as I've never tried the touch screen functions before. I did try moving elements via the touch screen and noticed I could move elements but not boundaries nor diagram notes. Weird aye?

I think it stems from the fact Sparx EA was not originally designed to work with touch screen so thats probably the reason all those functions don't work properly. I'm surprised that some of them do work.
I've never experienced elements changing size by their own initiative in the 14 years of using Sparx EA so not sure whats going on there. Is that happening when using the touch screen? If so its probably because of that touch screen interface.

BTW I'm using a Lenovo 900 Yoga at present with 13.3 inch screen and its just about workable for short periods. However I usually connect to 27 inch wide screen when I'm working for long hours. I always use the touch pad or mouse and never had any issues.

Only Sparx System will know the answer to the questions you raised about V14. I did notice they've started proving access via mobile phones and tablets with Cloud Pro and a web browser.

José Farinha

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Painful editing on MS Surface
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:08 am »
Thanks for your reply.

Drawing on EA by touching is mostly a bad idea. At most, you manage to enter new classifiers, move them around and add relationships. For most of the other activities, the finger is too coarse. The same if you use the Surface’s pen, that doesn’t help. I was expecting something like that and soon started using only the pad (the keyboard’s one) and a mouse for the fine-grained activities (which tend to be quite frequent). I also started using an Wacom Intuos pen tablet, which seems to me the most practical of the methods so far.

However, most of the problems happen irrespective of the input method you use. I believe that anyone working on a regular basis with EA on a Surface will meet those frequently, including the shrinking phenomenon. Reducing the screen resolution may alleviate a little, but comes with some disadvantages, as you get less space for your diagram and for the project browser, which reduces productivity as well. I hope v14 comes with improvements.

Best regards