Author Topic: Quick linker in v.14 not showing available relations  (Read 169 times)

ducatiross

• EA User
    • View Profile
Quick linker in v.14 not showing available relations
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:56 pm »
I had a quick go of v.14 earlier this week and was a bit disappointed with a couple of things. There now seems to be an increase in the number of clicks it takes to get to standard functionality, compared to v.13, such as right-click context sensitive options for basic things like 'Find in all Diagrams/Browser' not always being immediately available. Same thing for Properties option in that you have to select 'Special' first then Properties - is there a way to turn this off and make it easier to navigate to core functions ?

But more importantly, the quick linker seems to have forgotten how to show available relations dependent on the MDG objects being used. I am using ArchiMate 3 objects and now can no longer use the quick linker to create an assignment relation between an Actor or a Role and a Process object. I have to go to the toolbox and pick the Assignment relation directly. Same is true for a lot of other relations between objects.

Is this a bug with the quick linker, or have I not set a configuration setting correctly ?

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Quick linker in v.14 not showing available relations
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:36:39 pm »
ArchiMate is using new functionality to define its quicklinker from a metamodel specified in its profile. It is (or will be) simpler, easier to maintain and more reliable than specifying each quicklinker rule individually. It also allows EA to validate relationships against the ArchiMate metamodel. The fact that you can create the relationships from the toolbox says that you don't have strict connector syntax enabled. Finally, it's essential to the definition and use of User Defined View types.

Unfortunately, it is currently missing some relationships because of what I would describe as a less than rigorous definition of the metamodel within the ArchiMate specification. As an example, the validity of an Actor having an assignment to a Role is specified only1 in English in the description of a BusinessActor.

A business actor may be assigned to one or more business roles. It can then perform the behavior to which these business roles are assigned.

1 It's also in Appendix B Relationship tables, but that's not a specification of a metamodel and the content of the document should not require the appendices.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:26 pm »
Unfortunately, it is currently missing some relationships because of what I would describe as a less than rigorous definition of the metamodel within the ArchiMate specification.

As well as the metamodel it is explicated stated - outside of the appendices - that certain relationships can be derived.

It is important to note that all these derived relationships are also valid in the ArchiMate language. These are not shown in the metamodel diagrams included in this standard because this would reduce the legibility of them. However, the tables in Appendix B show all permitted relationships between two elements in the language.

ducatiross

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:44:24 am »
ArchiMate is using new functionality to define its quicklinker from a metamodel specified in its profile. It is (or will be) simpler, easier to maintain and more reliable than specifying each quicklinker rule individually. It also allows EA to validate relationships against the ArchiMate metamodel. The fact that you can create the relationships from the toolbox says that you don't have strict connector syntax enabled. Finally, it's essential to the definition and use of User Defined View types.

Unfortunately, it is currently missing some relationships because of what I would describe as a less than rigorous definition of the metamodel within the ArchiMate specification. As an example, the validity of an Actor having an assignment to a Role is specified only1 in English in the description of a BusinessActor.

A business actor may be assigned to one or more business roles. It can then perform the behavior to which these business roles are assigned.

1 It's also in Appendix B Relationship tables, but that's not a specification of a metamodel and the content of the document should not require the appendices.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your response, but neither comment  explains why the quick linker used to show all the normal available relations between the two object in v.13.5 regardless of whether 'Enforce Strict Syntax' is checked. A modeller doesn't want to have to keep going back and forth to the settings to turn on and off this setting just to get the linker to work. They should take responsibility for determining whether they need to enforce the correct relationships themselves.

And the fact that the metamodel in ArchiMate is not 100% complete is a reason for NOT ticking the Enforce Correct Syntax option - but you would still want it to provide the ones that it can for the two objects selected. If the correct relation is not shown, only then would you need to go to the toolbox.

ducatiross

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:46:49 am »

It is important to note that all these derived relationships are also valid in the ArchiMate language. These are not shown in the metamodel diagrams included in this standard because this would reduce the legibility of them. However, the tables in Appendix B show all permitted relationships between two elements in the language.

Thanks Glassboy, but I am not worried about derived relationships, I just want the normal, explicit ones to be available like they are in version 13.5

If nothing else, this is a serious time-saving feature and the loss of it is a blocker for me to move to version 14.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:01:34 am »
As well as the metamodel it is explicated stated - outside of the appendices - that certain relationships can be derived.
Yes, I was looking at this yesterday to see if it could explain some of the additional relationship types in the table. If it was used that way it hasn't been applied consistently.

Thanks for your response, but neither comment  explains why the quick linker used to show all the normal available relations between the two object in v.13.5 regardless of whether 'Enforce Strict Syntax' is checked. A modeller doesn't want to have to keep going back and forth to the settings to turn on and off this setting just to get the linker to work. They should take responsibility for determining whether they need to enforce the correct relationships themselves.
Because the same metamodel that is being used to provide validation rules is being used to build the quicklinker. In some situations the new model is showing more valid connectors already. Unfortunately, I do concede that there are some glaring omissions that we need to correct.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Glassboy

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31:59 am »
Yes, I was looking at this yesterday to see if it could explain some of the additional relationship types in the table. If it was used that way it hasn't been applied consistently.

I don't think anyone here is going to say that the specification is the most rigorous and well defined in the world.  It's a little bit too influenced by certain tool Vendors on the ArchiMate forum.  But EA should be able to meet the benchmark that Archi sets for implementing the specification.