Author Topic: Project browser auto-side-scroll  (Read 372 times)

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
Project browser auto-side-scroll
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:16:20 am »
Hey all,

13.5 on Windows 10, the auto-side-scrolling project browser is driving me up the freakin post. For a project with more depth and/or longer names than some trivial Mickey-Mouse example it's worse than useless.

Not sure if this is EA's fault or some Windows bullsh*t but it doesn't really matter. Point is, is there a way to switch it off?
Only remedy I've found is to widen the window till it covers half the screen. Meaning I can't see the diagrams.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Project browser auto-side-scroll
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:50:12 am »
I suppose it's not this one. So most likely that one (unfortunately "someone" thinks I need that translated in German) which suggests that this is a programmable (so EA related) feature.

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:51:39 am »
I think that was related with whether or not it would show the horizontal scrollbar, and that depends on the visual theme.

IIRC it doesn't auto-scroll if you use the Office-XP style.

Weirdly enough I just tried it in v13.5.1352 and I could make it auto-scroll anymore, not even with the office 2016 theme.

They might even have fixed it back then.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 05:13:41 am »
I seem to remember having seen that behavior too. I also remember having changed the visual style. And also I can't get it back with (some of) the offered styles. Used 1351.

q.

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 06:59:44 pm »
Thanks guys. I can report the following on 1352.

Some visual styles have a horizontal scrollbar, and others don't.

I tried creating a list of those styles, but it turns out the style-switching function is buggy as all hell and the results are not reliable. In general, more recent styles do not have h-scrollbars, while older ones do -- but changing back and forth might cause it to disappear even in a style that had it a moment ago, and I've also seen double v-scrollbars appear. Funny stuff!

It also turns out that switching to a style does not cause the same behaviour as starting EA with that style set from last time.
So if you start with the Office XP style there's no auto-scroll, but if you've switched to it from another style that has auto-scroll it's there.

That works in reverse too. Start up in Office XP and switch to Studio 2013 -- no h-scrollbar, no auto-scroll.

So one of the bugs appears to be that the auto-scroll behaviour is not (re)set when changing visual styles. It's only set during startup.

Which means this is actually a have-the-cake-and-eat-it-too kind of bug that allows you to select auto-scroll separately from the visual style.

Since I find the auto-scroll so incredibly annoying, I think it should be selectable in the Visual Style dialog.
Failing that, that particular bug should not be fixed but be allowed to remain as a workaround.

/Uffe

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »
That makes sense (as in explains the behavior I've witnessed)

Geert

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:58:53 pm »
For reference, Ctrl + arrow keys can be used to scroll the project browser, whether or not there is a scroll bar visible.

Be aware though that EA also interprets Ctrl + up/down arrows as "move the selected element up/down within its package".

But I haven't noted any side effects with the Ctrl + left/right arrows, and those are the important ones. (PgUp/PgDn can be used to scroll the project browser vertically anyway.)

/Uffe