Author Topic: Files on Sharepoint  (Read 343 times)

alindan

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Files on Sharepoint
« on: June 14, 2018, 04:13:58 am »
EA does not seem to trigger User Authentication properly.

I have an .eap file on a SharePoint server. If I try to open the file after a fresh login on the PC, EA just through a "File Not Found" error.

If I do browse to the file first with Explorer and then open it in EA everything seems to be working OK.

I am using EA14 on Win 10.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Files on Sharepoint
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 04:41:14 am »
You should never put .eap files on sharepoint.

An .eap file is basically an Access database with another extension.
When using it tries to create a temporary lock file, which sharepoint doesn't allow.

Geert

alindan

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:23:08 am »
I know it's an access file, however my company has a standard that we need to follow, and SharePoint is the way to go until we get to deploy EA as an Enterprise solution. The long term plan is to go Pro Cloud on premise, but before I get there I have to demonstrate it works...

Alin

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 02:01:34 am »
It is technically impossible to use access databases on sharepoint, regardless of what your company policy says.

Geert

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:16:47 am »
I know it's an access file, however my company has a standard that we need to follow, and SharePoint is the way to go until we get to deploy EA as an Enterprise solution. The long term plan is to go Pro Cloud on premise, but before I get there I have to demonstrate it works...

It doesn't.  Access databases don't even synchronise for offline folders.

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:27:27 pm »
Hello Alin,

SharePoint is the way to go until we get to deploy EA as an Enterprise solution. The long term plan is to go Pro Cloud on premise, but before I get there I have to demonstrate it works...

Unless you're proposing to use external version control and individual project files for each team member (in which case SharePoint wouldn't make much sense anyway), .EAP files are not part of an enterprise deployment. If you don't understand what I mean by "external version control", then that just adds weight to my argument.

Set up a database instead. SQL Server is probably the best choice since you're on a Microsoft platform.

It also seems you're confused about EA's so-called cloud solution. Pro Cloud / WebEA is not a separate type of model repository, it's a different way to access an already existing repository.

In other words, Pro Cloud is not an alternative to an .EAP file. There has to be either an .EAP file or a database behind it. Nothing is stored "in the cloud": models are always located in a repository, and that's either a file or a database.

Go with a database. It is better in all respects than an .EAP file.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:12 pm »
Out of curiosity, and Alin, please don't read this as a workable alternative; what I said in my previous post holds and enterprise deployment means DBMS repositories, but:

When using it tries to create a temporary lock file, which sharepoint doesn't allow.

Does that apply to Firebird (.feap) as well? Or would it be possible to store a Firebird repository in SharePoint?

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 05:40:04 pm »
Out of curiosity, and Alin, please don't read this as a workable alternative; what I said in my previous post holds and enterprise deployment means DBMS repositories, but:

Does that apply to Firebird (.feap) as well? Or would it be possible to store a Firebird repository in SharePoint?

/Uffe

I don't know, but from the little experimentation I did with .feap files I notices that they were significantly slower than .eap file, so I kind of dismissed them as an option.
But if you setup sharepoint to do check-in/check-out you will always have issues with concurrent access I guess. So regardless of the type of file, I guess you would be limited to a single user.

Geert
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:42:32 pm by Geert Bellekens »