Author Topic: two versions of EA on one workstation  (Read 35 times)

ngong

• EA User
    • View Profile
two versions of EA on one workstation
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:33:44 pm »
I came accross this problem as the IT department runs a daily job, that checks whether requested installations are already or still exist on user workstations.
I had to install EA14.1 new, every morning, as I was listed as to have EA13.0 installed.

Additionally because I do not fully trust the improvements of EA14.1 - because of painful experience - I like to have 13.5 installed on my workstation, too.
It turned out not to be as easy: I have to install one, rename the installation folder, and install the other. Otherwise the (in registry?) known installation will be automatically removed.

My question: It seems to work, but do I have to fear any serious problem by accessing the same model by different EA versions on the same workstation? (If not, why this automatic removal?)

It seems to be clear, accessing the same model (e.g. stored centrally in SQL Server) from different EA versions from different workstations shall be allowed - at least in some defined version ranges. That is why I believe that my "trick" does no harm.
Rolf

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: two versions of EA on one workstation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:07:25 am »
Answered more than once here. But finding  it ... ;-)

Just rename your current EA folder in the programs to EA(current) and install the other version. Now you can rename EA to EA(new) and eventually rename the other back. Or leave it. You can install as many different EA versions as needed (I recently had all latest versions from 9.3 on).

q.

ngong

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: two versions of EA on one workstation
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 02:00:30 am »
Thank you, qwerty
maybe I didn't search hard enough - so I had to find the solution myself.
What is important to me is, that EA as no problem working on one PC (one registry) with several installed versions even though the installer tries to hinder this (for what reason ever).
Rolf