Author Topic: Turning off MDGs  (Read 454 times)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Turning off MDGs
« on: January 20, 2019, 09:17:24 pm »
There should be a way to remove/hide MDGs from the selection menu.

My customer has a set of MDGs named by the company which starts with a "V" and this is, from an alphabetically view, ranked at almost the end. Since with each version EA appears to release tons of new MDGs they keep piling up in that list. And with those nice Windoze policies a standard user is not able to clean up that mess in the MDGTechnologies folder. Not only that the important MDGs appear at almost the very end (on the next page now) there are always users which find it a good idea to not only turn on, but actually use model elements from various other MDGs. What can possibly happen, I ask. Well, the real model gets a mess and someone has to spend time to clean after. Even worse, there are a number of MDGs which seem to be hard coded in EA (like ArcGIS, GML and a hand full more) which can not be removed from that list even after cleaning up the MDGTechnologies folder.

Should someone at Sparx take care? What do you think?

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Turning off MDGs
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:24:59 pm »
You can, at least at model level limit the number of used MDG's.

See Configure | Model | Options | MDG Technologies

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:03:25 am »
Ah, cool. I wasn't aware of that. Lost in EA's option jungle.

Thanks, Geert.

q.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:07:46 am »
Hmmm, well, well. I did set some to disabled (try ArcGIS). Result: they are still in the MDG list. I'd guess it's one of those banana softwares Sparx added since the last 10 years or so.

q.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 01:22:30 am »
Come to think of this nasty dialog - typical Sparx: A switch for required and disabled. Both can be set the same time. What??

q.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 10:10:44 am »
From EA 14 onwards, the preferred method is to leave all MDG Technologies enabled and switch perspectives instead. It should be a lot quicker and easier.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 04:52:52 pm »
I guess that V14 is out of question since that customer has a - how can I say it - long lasting live cycle. However, I'll give V14 a shot on my machine.

q.

P.S. Just noticed that installation of multiple EA versions seems to have changed since V13. Looks like it erases previous installations. My formerly installed V14 did wipe V13. After re-installation I notice now that V13 does the same. Hasn't been that way in the past. Damned ribbons. Life was much easier without them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:58:33 pm by qwerty »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:58:35 pm »
Argh!!!!! Now after having this Green Banana V14 installed it's just like with ALL EA versions: WHERE IS MY MENU?? Configure does not show MDG. Are you at Sparx part of the TruMenu Show? This is soooooooooooo frustrating. Like little children never coming to some end. In terms of "make my coders happy" that's a great deal. From a customer point of view this sucks (to be just as polite as possible).

Now, to go on with it: I found the Options menu and turned off all MDGs which is a PITA since you need to tick each and every single line. The All option only affects the Required column. Can I please have talk with the person responsible for your GUI design? I mean, a really nice talk with bamboo slivers and the like? Anyway, I went to endeavor the results of my efforts. Interestingly the Other context menu appeared blank initially and after some seconds of contemplation EA popped up a menu where it asked me which MDGs to turn on. Guess what: it offered me ALL MDGs. I mean ALL. So that Options menu was just a wast of time.

Now <rant> I'm really pissed </rant>.

It should be a lot quicker and easier.

Yes. It should.

q.

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 07:14:19 am »
Can I please have talk with the person responsible for your GUI design?

Melbourne is a lovely place for a holiday.  Going by Google Maps the drive inland to Creswick looks like it would be alright.

Just stay away from a local beer called VB (VB stands for Very Bad).

matthew.james

• EA User
  • Am I supposed to say something here ... ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 08:49:13 am »

Didn't know you could even buy VB any more ... (!)

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 09:52:26 am »

Didn't know you could even buy VB any more ... (!)

Apparently it has changed very little since 1854.  I guess that means what ever dead thing was in the mash tun then is still there :-)