Author Topic: maximum number of expressions in a list is 1000  (Read 4432 times)

Prslv

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
maximum number of expressions in a list is 1000
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:52:52 pm »
Hello Everybody, I have next problem, in Enterprise Architect, when I try to open 'Diagram' and  make choose in context menu 'New Diagram' and then in submenu 'Select Composite Diagram', the system is giving me error:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Driver
Oracle ODBC Ora ORA-01795: maximum number of expressions in a list is 1000"

I tried to contact with support of Enterprise Architect, and they written:

"We have confirmed that this is an issue only on Oracle. This happens when the 'Select a diagram' dialog is started up (right-click element -> Add -> Select composite diagram) with the model having nested diagrams or packages. We hope to fix this in a future release of EA."

Their answer is meaning that problem in EA, and maybe will solve in future release, but I hope that issue somebody was meeting early, and can give some details, any information will be great, thank you.

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS

EA Edition: Corporate
Build: 10.0.1009
EA Extensions:

3rd Party Extension:
Repository: Oracle
Operating System: Windows 7 32bit

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: maximum number of expressions in a list is 100
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:13:53 pm »
You should report that as a bug (link bottom right of this page).

Maybe there's some Oracle setting you can tune. I don't know but maybe others. You may look into %appdata%/...sparx.../EA/dberror.txt. It might contain the offending SQL.

q.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:15:59 pm by qwerty »

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:20:59 am »
You should report that as a bug (link bottom right of this page).

Maybe there's some Oracle setting you can tune. I don't know but maybe others. You may look into %appdata%/...sparx.../EA/dberror.txt. It might contain the offending SQL.

q.

I think it has been reported as a bug qwerty , since Sparx has confirmed the problem and said they are looking to fix it in a future release.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 06:00:02 am »
In that case: a duplicate report won't hurt. Indeed it would push priority to correct it (I guess)  ;)

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:34:38 am »
Looks like it's already fixed in 12.

When using Oracle the Diagram selection dialog no longer errors when the model has more than 1000 diagrams
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Prslv

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:25:00 pm »
Thank you for answers, I already reported to bugs about this error, and I suggest that real problem is contain the offending SQL code, how QWERTY wrote, however it is good, if problem fixed in 12. Issue might be closed

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:03:34 am »
real problem is contain the offending SQL code
I didn't say that there wasn't a problem with the SQL. EA gave Oracle something that it considers illegal but would be accepted by most DBs. EA 12 adapted the sql given to Oracle.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:26 am »
You know, I'm picky Simon: since EA supports Oracle as per advertisement you need to provide a SQL that Oracle understands. - Well, I know Oracle is even more picky than me in not accepting quite some SQL that others accepts. The world is bad  ;)

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:33 pm »
You know, I'm picky Simon: since EA supports Oracle as per advertisement you need to provide a SQL that Oracle understands. - Well, I know Oracle is even more picky than me in not accepting quite some SQL that others accepts. The world is bad  ;)
Absolutely, our help page Server Based Repositories
lists 7 different supported databases with 21 total variations + support for Access + Firebird (which can also be run as a server) and I don't think that list is complete/up-to-date. (eg. MySQL 4 or 5 isn't just two variations. 4.0 is no longer compatible with EA, but 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 and implies support for future versions)

We do support all of those platforms, and each one of them behaves differently in different circumstances. However, by my definition means that "support" means that we will fix the errors that occur. eg. We will fix errors in MySQL. Running a repository on MariaDB will probably work, but we have no obligation to fix it if it doesn't. It doesn't imply that the whole thing is "perfect". Generally speaking EA will load a model, most of the functionality will work, but there may be some features based on some options in EA that we haven't run on a sufficiently large model to generate an error in one particular dbms.

The world is bad  ;)
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Prslv

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 05:11:42 pm »
real problem is contain the offending SQL code
I didn't say that there wasn't a problem with the SQL. EA gave Oracle something that it considers illegal but would be accepted by most DBs. EA 12 adapted the sql given to Oracle.
It seems like was misunderstanding from my side, however thank you for detailed answer.

RudiCz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:44 pm »
Hello,
in my environment (EA 12 Build:1210) the ORA-1795 persists.
Accepting the error by clicking the OK-Button in the Error-Message-Box leads to the 'Select a Diagram'-box with the package-hierarchy:
  • Diagrams that were directly created under packages are listed correctly
  • Diagrams that were created under elements are listed at the end of the list
In most cases the selection of a diagram is even successful and the diagram is associated with the element as composite.
I have reported it as a bug to Sparx today.
Bye Rudi