Author Topic: Import moves element from packages to root package  (Read 1719 times)

Steven Bos

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Import moves element from packages to root package
« on: November 03, 2015, 02:54:13 am »
OK - the update with the GUID has annoying feature which I consider a bug since it is moving an element from its package to the root package.

Situation is that I have 'root' package for the requirements.
- req1
- req2
- package1 with req3
- package2 with req4

If I am now 'refreshing' the requirement including the GUID for these four requirements the root package looks like this:
- req1
- req2
- req3
- req4
- package1 <-- empty
- pacakge2 <-- empty

Bit of annoying that all the requirements are moved from their packages to the root package.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Import moves element from packages to root pac
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:32:19 am »
The import forces the order. What EA does is that it removes elements/connectors with the GUID found in the XMI and then adds them as ordered in the XMI. I guess that is what one would expect from an Import. Else it would be named Update. It might be an enhancement to the import which else has only the strip guids.

q.

Steven Bos

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 12:47:22 am »
Somehow I have overlooked the Preserve Hierarchy option in the Import/Export setup. This seems to work now.

Next challenge is to merge an export from TFS and an export from EA into a new import for EA. Then the POC says I got it working.

After that - it is add-in creation study time.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:23:39 am »
Preserve Hierarchy option in the Import/Export setup.
I was not aware of that too (maybe a newer feature?). Sounds like being the missing update functionality.

q.