Author Topic: Prototype Tutorial  (Read 2885 times)

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
Prototype Tutorial
« on: February 06, 2002, 01:47:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this but I have started to write a tutorial on using EA in terms of application development.   This means that I want to look at all of the issues including EA.   I do focus on EA but mention other tools as well.

Anyway, I finished the first main chapter, passed it on to Geoff for first review, and gave a very LIGHT edit.

I'm wondering if people are interested in this, if the interest is to release now and keep updating it as time and information moves forward, or wait until the very very end?

Let me know....   I'm just not sure what is the best way to make it available.

Also, Geoff, if you want to comment on what you've read thus far, jump on in.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Steve Straley

hoeksma

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
Re: Prototype Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2002, 05:34:14 am »
Great idea,

I am also trying to make a kind of tutorial but more related to business modeling and solution modeling perhapse whe can join our efforts together and define a complet process.

Sierk

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2002, 08:30:24 am »
Sierk,

That sounds cool.   I am including business modeling as well and including version control issues (using CVS), incorporating Demo Screens into the model, coordinating plans in Microsoft Project, and customizing reports and web output.   Is this along your lines as well?

Steve
Steve Straley

davewarner

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2002, 10:25:52 am »
Hi Steve,

I am very interested since it looks like I may be moving my entire team to EA over the next several months.  I am esp. interested in using EA with MS Project and interfacing with CVS.

I vote for release early and release often on this.  That process seemed to work very well for Ed Roman over on http://theserverside.com for the 2nd Edition of Mastering EJB.

Perhaps Geoff can give you some room here for this project?  

smcpike

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2002, 10:51:48 am »
Sounds great!  From looking at all of the functionality that exists, something like this is very much needed.  I was putting together something just for our use - due to the massive amount of things you can do... glad to see this thing is a little more organized than my effort! :D

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2002, 12:36:01 pm »
Hi,

Thanks.

I'm just waiting to hear how Geoff wants this thing distributed... either via his page, my page (when I get one), or only by email.

It's up to close to 100 pages just for the first couple of chapters.   I'm fighting CVS at the moment with Python and when I finish that I'll move onto the next chapter.

But I don't want to wait for me to finish the entire thing... like EA itself, I think this will be an evolutionary process and would prefer getting it out as-is and when updates comes to pass.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Steve
Steve Straley

Lilia

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2002, 05:00:15 am »
Hello, all,
Greetings from the Southeastern USA.
We are undergoing a massive change from "waterfall" to iterative processes and am interested in whatever you've come up with.
I also was going to try and come up with something for our use. We don't generate code because we support an ERP (PeopleSoft) but do need to follow the iterative processes. Our waterfall methodology has given us some very big headaches.
In any event, if you guys can help me out by sharing, I'd be forever grateful ???

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2002, 07:26:09 am »
Dave,

Keep in mind that I haven't given a good edit on the last chapter.   What I'll do is PDF what I have thus far and send it off to Geoff.   I'll see what he suggests about putting it on the site or having a way for me to update it on a regular basis or what.

In the spirit of Sparx, I'd like comments and suggestions as the document develops and I'll try to steer it in that direction.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I am very interested since it looks like I may be moving my entire team to EA over the next several months.  I am esp. interested in using EA with MS Project and interfacing with CVS.

I vote for release early and release often on this.  That process seemed to work very well for Ed Roman over on http://theserverside.com for the 2nd Edition of Mastering EJB.

Perhaps Geoff can give you some room here for this project?  

Steve Straley

Philip_Avery

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2002, 11:18:09 pm »
Sounds good to me. Why not start off by releasing what you've got and see what feedback is generated. For distribution, probably PDF as it's pretty well universal.

Philip

ronnie

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2002, 04:26:45 pm »
Sounds just what I've been looking for.

Get some feedback before finishing it I say!
Ronnie

Steve_Straley

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2002, 10:44:21 am »
Hi All,

Geoff gave me a link to try and since I have the day off, I will give it a go later this afternoon.   I do want to add one thing to the front of the document before posting.  If I'm able to do this, I'll post a message.  Otherwise, I'll be working with Geoff to figure something else out.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Straley