Author Topic: Enterprise Version - Multiple Users  (Read 1597 times)

jwall

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
Enterprise Version - Multiple Users
« on: June 25, 2003, 09:01:25 am »
Seem to be having a bit of trouble in understanding how to best implement working with the Enterprise Version when multiple people want to contribute to an EA project.  

Just moving up to enterprise and wanted some confirmation or guidance if possible.

Currently have a database and Project stored in MYSQL.

The thought process for using Enterprise is as follows:

Obtain the model from the database (the true design master) and store it
  to a local EAP file.
  Designate this EAP as the local design master.
  Create a replica to be used as a local working copy.

When changes are made, I am assuming we would need to do the following:

Perform a data transfer from the database (true design master) onto the   local design master to reflect any changes from other users.

Use the synchronise replicas feature to merge changes in the working  copy with the local design master.

Perform a data transfer from the local design master to the database   (true design master).

Does this make any sense, or is there another/better way to go about this.

THanks

potterm

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Enterprise Version - Multiple Users
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 12:44:28 am »
Jwall,

I don't think the use of design masters and local replicas is supported if you are using a central repository such as MySQL or SQLServer - this is a feature of the JET database engine (i.e. only available when all models are in EAP file format).

We had a similar problem (we have people that need to work offline on the model and then merge their changes back in later).  The way we solved it is:

1. Full model transfer from MySQL to local EAP file.
2. Work on the EAP offline, noting which packages you have made changes to.
3. Export any changed packages to an XML file from the local EAP file and then import them into the master MySQL repository.

This is not as automated as replicas but does seem to work.  In order to avoid multiple updates to the same item by different people we've also turned on security and "require user lock to edit". (i.e. you lock the packages you intend to edit offline before step 1).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Martin.

zack2

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 04:41:41 pm »
I think that you're doing too much work with the replicas. MySQL allows multiple users to work on the model at once, so if every member of your team has access to the model, then let them do their model updates without extra administration.

The big question is if you want to enable security or not. We have enabled security, and rquire user locks to edit a component. It is an extra step, but we think that it keeps things from corrupting in the database.

To see if you want the extra hassle of security and user locks, try this: Set up a sample data store with no security and let your whole team edit the same diagrams. You should see the diagrams change as you reload them, but the database should be able to handle the updates. If it makes your team members queasy to see their diagram being changed by someone else, then implement security.  

jwall

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 02:06:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice on this.   Unfortunately, we will have both connected (MYSQL) and people who can't make a direct connect.   Based on the advice I have got, we are making good progress.

Now to get comfortable with merging in replicas.

jw