Author Topic: Sequence Diagram Fragments  (Read 2281 times)

gluzm

• EA User
    • View Profile
Sequence Diagram Fragments
« on: March 14, 2005, 09:10:38 am »
Hi,

first I must say that fragment handling on sequence diagram in EA is not so wonderfull.

But fragments are also new in UML2.0 the question is how people depicted Loop iteractions in older version of UML.

And second what does mean the option "Branch With Previous Message"

Thanks
Jan
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 09:10:59 am by gluzm »

Tjerk

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Sequence Diagram Fragments
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 09:18:12 am »
Branching is usefull for conditional messages (you'll get two messages starting from the same point, add conditional statements to both). Is also possible with UML2.0 fragments. Branching might be a shorter (cleaner) presentation for simple conditional messages.

With respect to fragment handling, what are your issues? If you could indicate your problems, Sparx might be able to solve them.

sargasso

• EA Practitioner
  • 10 COMFROM 30; 20 HALT; 30 ONSUB(50,90,10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 10:12:22 pm »
Loop iteractions

You almost got it - in <UML2.0 they were shown using "iterations"on individual messages.  Diagrammatically the message had a * before the name.  In EA it was set on the message by checking the Is Iteration box in the message properties.

However, iterations were a pain to model and not necessarily clear to the casual observer when there was a complex or even just a following message sequence within the loop.  So thus was invented the OMG loop fragment.

IMO the use of fragments is still in its juvenille stages within UML - probably need at least +.2 to get it matured. But, with the exception of modelling alt lifetimes, I reckon its not that bad.

bruce

Hint: You gotta get the z-orders just right in EA to get max value out of fragments.
"It is not so expressed, but what of that?
'Twere good you do so much for charity."

Oh I forgot, we aren't doing him are we.

gluzm

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 06:11:28 am »
Well the major problem I have with fragments is the fragments management on the diagram.

My understanding of fragment is that it encapsulates some logic (mostly possible behavior), the problem I have is that when I create some message and place it into the fragment then it is not bound with the fragment and If I move the fragment then the message is not moved.

Disaster happens to the diagram if I need to review some functionality and change the messages call or add new message call in the middle of the diagram. Then all the fragments are out of sync with the messages they should contain.

Thanks for advice