Author Topic: Making identifying/non-identifying ER relations  (Read 1360 times)

rheckart

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Making identifying/non-identifying ER relations
« on: March 31, 2005, 07:48:01 am »
Hi,

I've been working extensively with the ERD functions and wanted to know how to make the association line dotted or solid to signify an identifying/non-identifying relationship. I can see where the line width and color can be changed, but what about type of line? Or should I be using something other than an association link?

Thanks,
Rob

thomaskilian

Re: Making identifying/non-identifying ER relation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:06:49 am »
Hi Rob,
UML is not ERD, although there are similarities. To denote non-/identifying association you have a solid line with a (non) filled diamond on the target side (that is where you have the foreign key). See the EA help file: "aggregation".

rheckart

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Making identifying/non-identifying ER relation
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 06:16:45 am »
Hi,

That makes sense, although if I use an aggregation connector the foreign keys property pages become unavailable in that kind of connector.

I tried to make an aggregation link and then change it to association, which gave me an arrow line with the diamond between the arrow and table? Is that normal? I have version 750.

What I'm really after is the ability to show the relationship and also have the DDL generate correctly.

Thanks!