Author Topic: Auto-generate Scenarios from an Activity Diagram  (Read 1288 times)

allanm

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Auto-generate Scenarios from an Activity Diagram
« on: July 31, 2005, 10:14:59 pm »
Hi all...

Sorry for the cross post, but I was hoping to get as many comments as possible.

Being new to EA and associated methodologies, I was wondering if anyone is aware of a tool that can automatically generate written 'scenarios' based on an Activity Diagram?

I have a relatively complex Activity Diagram which I am following to write Basic and Alternate paths to put as scenarios in my use-case. The diagram is quite complex with numerous decision points (which in turn have their own decision points) so I am having troubles writing out the various paths to begin with. More importantly though,  I see big problems surrounding readability of the scenarios and also maintanability for the future whenever the system changes.

Does anyone know of a tool that can translate Activity Diagram flows into a written form?

My basic understanding is that XML sits behind these diagrams in EA. How difficult would this feature be to build into EA?

Thanks

sargasso

• EA Practitioner
  • 10 COMFROM 30; 20 HALT; 30 ONSUB(50,90,10)
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-generate Scenarios from an Activity Diagr
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 10:45:55 pm »
Interesting concept, although I would hate to see what would happen if you omitted a temination constraint on either a direct or indirect loop.  ;)

Seriously, I have never seen such a tool.  But it would have to have some pretty serious pre-validation and the modellers would have to adhere strictly to its rules.  

bruce
"It is not so expressed, but what of that?
'Twere good you do so much for charity."

Oh I forgot, we aren't doing him are we.

Kaneda

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 11:21:36 pm »
by "auto-Generate Scenarios", do you mean code generation?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binaries and those who don't...

allanm

• EA Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 02:19:28 am »
Hi Kaneda

No, not code generation. Just plain-text versions of a basic and alternate paths displayed in an Activity Diagram.

Cheers

alexander

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 02:46:18 pm »
Actually, the recommended practice is to define all posible scenarios and then try to merge them in a single activity diagram in order to find common behavior and understand the 'business logic' behind the functionality you are trying to define.

If you think about it, usually the clients give you scenarios rather than a complete set of operation flows.