Author Topic: Problem with windows authentication  (Read 2508 times)

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Problem with windows authentication
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:50:42 am »
We used over several versions up to now EA. Former times windows authentication was not enabled. In the meanwhile we switched it on.

According to our experience that works fine for PC’s which did not connect to the project before the windows authentication was switched on.
For the other PC’s the login window still appears. Deinstalling and Reinstalling EA did not help.
So we tried via filemon and regmon to find out where such machine and project related information is stored, but without success.
Is there anyone having an idea what to do to solve that problem?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with windows authentication
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 04:23:08 am »
This sounds like an issue relating to a back end DBMS, probably MS SQL Server.

If you had SQL Server authentication set for your DBMS then a username and password would log you on. This was probably passed in your connection string. No matter where you came in from, if the provided credentials were good then SQL Server let you use the repository.

When you switch to Windows Authentication SQL Server evaluates the network account that you are logged into, and ignores the username and password. If that account is not authorized to access the schema (or SQL Server itself) you get a login dialog (or perhaps even denied, depending on security settings).

Check the user account permissions at the SQL Server level and you should find what you need.

David
No, you can't have it!

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:01:55 am »
Hello David,
thank you for your reply.
However I am using Oracle not MS SQL as repository. My oracle connection works and uses an ADS unkown account defined in my connection string. My problems are in the windows authentication only and only on machines I used the repository before I enabled the windows authentication. So the problem depends on a machine (Client PC) not on a user and not on a repository.
Any idea?
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 03:53:19 am »
Are you sure your user accounts have appropriate Windows privileges on your server? Perhaps they are not 'trusted' at the server itself, rather than the DBMS.

[Please note that I am guessing here.]

David
No, you can't have it!

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:46 pm »
Hello David,
I am quiet sure, because it works with my accound on two PC's but on one PC not. The same happen to my colleges. So there must be something stored on the client PC.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 03:00:16 am »
Peter,

I does sound that way. Still, in the Windows world at least, server access can be filtered on a per-user and a per-computer basis. Also, users can be both network (domain) and local, with differing privileges for each. Active Directory (or any LDAP implementation) can further complicate this.

Other than that, check things like connection strings. Perhaps the users at the workstations originally connected (or attempted to connect) to the EA repository differently. The connection strings might have been stored - EA likes to do this - with some of them having improper credentials.

This is yet another guess, but you should be able to check quickly.

David
No, you can't have it!

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 06:43:17 am »
Hello David,

Thank you for your patient help.
The connection string is stored in the registry Sparx Systems/…./Recent File List/…, right?
I compared the connection string of both working and not working PC’s. They are identical. This is no surprise, because we distribute the whole installation including that connection string via NetInstall.
We are using ADS. Up to now I had not taken ADS as the potential problem maker in account so far.
Do you think it is worth to find somebody in my company looking in the ADS content?
Any other ideas are welcome any time.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:47:42 am »
Peter,

I really cannot say. Still, your productivity will continue to be hampered until you get this solved. It might be worth having an expert who knows your network context take a look at the problem.

David
No, you can't have it!