Author Topic: Apologies  (Read 1508 times)

PhilR

• EA User
    • View Profile
Apologies
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:04:57 pm »
When I search this forum and follow a link to one of the threads it seems to be impossible to return to the search results without re-entering the search criteria.

This makes good forum etiquette difficult and I apologise in advance if the enxt two quireis I post have been answered numerous times - I don't have the time or the will to type my search string in numerous times.

thomaskilian

Re: Apologies
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:26:21 pm »
YABB is probably not the best of its breed :(
However, it's better than nothing and it enables this forum :)

sl@sh

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:21:08 am »
When I have a problem, I check out the search results by opening the interesting links in a seperate tab (quite easy provided your browser supports tabbed browsing - else you can always choose to open in a new window). This way I have no need to 'return' to the search results page.

I agree though, that actually finding relevant information is a pain with the current forum software. I've encountered cases where my initial search turned up nothing, although the topic in question had been discussed elsewhere.

After getting used to the quirks of the search engine I did get better results though.

PhilR

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 06:48:26 pm »
Forums area a great way to ask questions and provide answers but a useless way to organise knowledge.  Wikis are much better at this.

Since a lot of support for EA is community-based is there a role for an official Sparx wiki (I know there is a user group one but irt doesn't seem to have reached critical mass yet).

How about an even more radical suggestion.  Sparxs initially populates the wiki with the help files and then allows the user community to clarify and expand.  Sparx could then "harvest" the contributed knowleded into future releases.

Hey it works for an encyclopedia :-)