Author Topic: EA doesnt always respect version control status  (Read 962 times)

OilyRag

• EA User
    • View Profile
EA doesnt always respect version control status
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:37:28 pm »
Hi, I've done an experiment with EA v7 build 815, that shows up some dodgy behaviour w.r.t. version controlled package content. The upshot of the experiment seems to suggest that EA does not respect the version controlled status of things.

I have two version controlled packages. They both reside in seperate package hierarchies such that each has a different package ancestral path up to the root. Both version controlled packages are checked in. One package contains requirement elements. Lets call this, the source package. The other (destination) package contains classes.

I open up the Relationship Matrix and select the source as the version controlled source package, and the destination as the version controlled destination package. As long as I keep both source and destination packages checked-in, the Relationship Matrix prevents me from adding a new relationship, either from the source to the destination, or vice-versa. The option to add a relationship only becomes available when I check-out one or both of the packages. So far so good.

Now, if instead, I select the destination package as the parent package containing the version controlled package, things change. Now I can create Target->Source relationships in the matrix. Furthermore, when I view the properties of the target elements, you can see the relationships in the requirements tab. If I tried to add those myself manually in the properties dialog when the package was checked-in, EA would prevent me. It greys out the OK button so the only way out of the properties dialog is to CANCEL. But in this experiment, EA did change the properties of the element, behind the scenes, and seems to have ignored the fact that the element belongs to a version controlled package.

Does anyone know if this is a feature or does it sound like a bug?
???
The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me.

peter.zrnko

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: EA doesnt always respect version control statu
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:08:42 am »
This is a bug.
Peter

thomaskilian

Re: EA doesnt always respect version control statu
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:15:00 am »
Indeed. Please send a bug report with the reference to this thread to Sparx' bug report page.