Author Topic: Project management  (Read 913 times)

Mr. Sanders

• EA User
  • Dilbert for president
    • View Profile
Project management
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:52:08 am »
Hello,

the more I am thinking about the metrics dialog, the more I am asking me which meaning it has.

What is this metrics dialog for?
Is it to describe the complexity of an element?
So why isn't it called complexity.

What does the weight mean?

Is it just a dialog for defining any subject like costs, time, etc.?

Is it for defining own tags with a own meaning, so it is a sampling dialog for anything else what doesn't fit into the other tabs (effort, risks, resources)?

Please give me some meaning of that dialog.

Does the tabs have any influence on anything?
I think no, isn't it. There is no calculation, sum ups,
weighting of costs, risks, resources etc.

It's just what was entered and nothing more and nothing less. Isn't it?

The more confusing is the fact, that there are some additional metrics for the use case points in the use case metric.

But why should I enter both information. The project management information doesn't has an influence on use case metrics and vice versa.

So I think it is pretty nonsens to use both kind of information, or where is my brain fault?

Regards
Michael

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 03:57:02 am by mizd »

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: Project management
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:51:47 am »
You have the correct idea.

You can assign the weights you want to use for calculations. The calculations themselves must be handled through other means. For example, you could write an add-in, or export the metrics to a spreadsheet.

However, you can add your own metrics to elements. The dialog allows you to assign some 'personality' to the metrics you define. Once again, these would be used in some way you come up with externally to EA.

By allowing you to capture the metrics EA lets you keep additional information about an element with the element.

HTH, David
No, you can't have it!