Author Topic: ARCSeeker beta released - Manage Reusable Assets  (Read 3332 times)

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
ARCSeeker beta released - Manage Reusable Assets
« on: December 25, 2007, 12:57:07 am »
SparxSystems Japan is pleased to announce the beta release of new product 'ARCSeeker' - to manage reusable Assets made by Enterprise Architect.

ARCSeeker is management tool of 'Reusable Assets'. You can
store UML models to ARCSeeker as 'Component', and find and reuse your Components effectively and efficiently.

By managing UML model and various related information, you can easily manage and reuse your software assets.

For further information and download free trial (beta), please visit our website:
www.arcseeker.com

Regards
Takeshi Kouno
--
t-kouno

Martin Terreni

• EA User
  • Sorry, I can't write
    • View Profile
Re: ARCSeeker beta released - Manage Reusable Asse
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:59:55 am »
Very nice, but I already met a company with a beta product doing it web based on data base (there is no way I'll work with file on network drives) with permisions and version control.
I expected more from Sparx...
Recursion definition:
If you don’t understand the definition read "Recursion definition".

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:20:05 pm »
Thank you for your comment.

Current 'Professional' edition is for private-use or small-medium company/division to store and share EA models.

We have a plan to offer 'Corporate' edition, which users can manage users/groups of ActiveDirectory, assign access rights to them, and store Assets to SQLServer/Oracle.

Now we have no plan to release 'Web-based version'. Because we have already offered powerful API/Add-in feature (ActiveX COM) like EA, and users can enhance features of ARCSeeker by making ActiveX-COM DLL and users can  access/modify Components information from external applications. (We have not offered API reference manual yet.)

I think it is important to enhance feature 'as you like', and web-based application is difficult to enhance by users.

Please post or email us what you feel about our ARCSeeker.

--
t-kouno
--
t-kouno

salayande

• EA User
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 12:54:43 pm »
Installed this product on Vista.

It went through the install process alright but will not start with error messages.

I chose to remove the software and not bother with raising bug notes.

I guess I am tired of being used as a guinea pig by software publishers

Martin Terreni

• EA User
  • Sorry, I can't write
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 01:00:01 pm »
Thank you for your comment.

Current 'Professional' edition is for private-use or small-medium company/division to store and share EA models.

We have a plan to offer 'Corporate' edition, which users can manage users/groups of ActiveDirectory, assign access rights to them, and store Assets to SQLServer/Oracle.

Now we have no plan to release 'Web-based version'. Because we have already offered powerful API/Add-in feature (ActiveX COM) like EA, and users can enhance features of ARCSeeker by making ActiveX-COM DLL and users can  access/modify Components information from external applications. (We have not offered API reference manual yet.)

I think it is important to enhance feature 'as you like', and web-based application is difficult to enhance by users.

Please post or email us what you feel about our ARCSeeker.

--
t-kouno

Of course the web based issue is far from must.
Any way, good to know that the plans are to support coporate users.
Recursion definition:
If you don’t understand the definition read "Recursion definition".

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 01:37:40 pm »
Installed this product on Vista.

It went through the install process alright but will not start with error messages.

I chose to remove the software and not bother with raising bug notes.

I guess I am tired of being used as a guinea pig by software publishers

Salayande,

Do you mean that it does not start, but issues error messages? Or do you mean that it did not start and did not say why?

In the latter case it might be Vista's data execution prevention, which often kills applications silently (without raising an error). You've got to specifically enable the application in these cases. Note that the application may run several times before Vista first stops it, but after that it won't run until you enable execution; doing so seems to resolve the problem for good.

You can adjust data execution prevention by opening the System applet from the Vista control panel. Open the System Properties dialog, and click the Advanced Tab. Click the Settings button in the Performance section to bring up the Performance Options dialog. Then you can click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Once you've gotten there you should probably leave the default option (turned on except for the programs you specify). You can use the Add button at the bottom of the dialog to add another program.

If this is the problem you are having the the program will run after you apply the change. There is no need to reinstall. If this does not fix the problem they you're back to square one.

HTH, David

Martin: This would be worth you're looking into. I'm seeing it occasionally with older applications ported to Vista. Unfortunately I don't know of any reference on how to detect the problem before it happens, or how to resolve it without having to change the setting on users' computers.
No, you can't have it!

jeshaw2

• EA User
  • I'm a Singleton, what pattern are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 02:22:02 pm »
I'm going to need a real compelling reason to move to Vista  ::)
Verbal Use Cases aren't worth the paper they are written upon.

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 02:25:04 pm »
Salayande,

Sorry to bother you.

It is known issue (but I forgot to notice in webpage).

You need to start ARCSeeker by Administrator (users who have Administrative rights of Vista) at first time only.

--additional info--
To start with administrative rights, right-click ARCSeeker.exe in installed directory and select 'Run as administator'.
--

After starting up ARCSeeker, you do not need Administrative rights to run.

--
t-kouno
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 05:24:42 pm by tk »
--
t-kouno

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 03:46:50 pm »
Hi Takeshi,

Just to be sure, do you also have to install with administrator rights on Vista?

David
No, you can't have it!

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 04:32:35 pm »
Hello David,

On Vista OS, Windows automatically check necessary rights to install and you never allow to install without administrator rights.
(You can see 'Vista Shield' icon on Installer icon. When
you install without the rights, Vista show UAC dialog.)

--
t-kouno

--
t-kouno

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 01:02:50 am »
Hello Salayande and all,

Our engineer found workaround of this Vista issue, and now we have upload new trial build of ARCSeeker.

Now you do not bother about unknown error on Vista any more.

I apologize for your trouble.

--
t-kouno
--
t-kouno

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:01 pm »
We have received questions and some of them are FAQ.
For your information, I post them here.

1. I can not create Components from Enterprise Architect.

Main reason is that trial edition allows up to 10 Components. Please delete existing Components and try again.

2. Where can I buy ARCSeeker?

Now we are preparing purchase page (using ShareIt service). Please wait 8th January.

--
t-kouno
--
t-kouno

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
ARCSeeker released - Manage Reusable Assets
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »
We have received another questions about ARCSeeker, and
followings are FAQ.

3. Is there any relation between ARCSeeker and RAS(Reusable Asset Specification)?

Yes, ARCSeeker is based on RAS(Reusable Asset Specification) defined by OMG, but now there is not RAS-compliant. Some tags of RAS XML schema are not supported.

I have added a little information to homepage of ARCSeeker:
http://www.arcseeker.com/

And now ARCSeeker does not support to read/write Assets files made by IBM Rational Asset Manager (and Rational Software Architect). In next major release, ARCSeeker will be able to read/write Assets made by them.

--
t-kouno

--
t-kouno