Author Topic: Problems with XMI Export/Import  (Read 1251 times)

hshahid

• EA User
    • View Profile
Problems with XMI Export/Import
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:35:18 pm »
Hi,

I am using Enterprise Architect 8.0 and I trying to import XMI generated by EA in MOFLON. I am having following issues;

1. When I am import XMI 1.1 generated by EA in Moflon, it import all the Blocks but all the arrtibutes and block connection information is lost.

2. When I am importing XMI 2.1 generated by EA in Moflon, it just do nothing.

Can you one tell me, what exactly is going on?  :-/, Is there any problem with XMI generated by EA?

Thanks & Regards,
Hamid

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Problems with XMI Export/Import
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:44:46 pm »
Hamid,

AFAIK the XMI produced by EA is valid, but the term "Block" isn't exactly standard UML. Non standard UML stuff is usually stored in vendor specific XMI extensions, so that might be the problem.

Why don't you start with something simple, a class with some attributes and operations. If that doesn't import I'm betting the problem is on the Moflon side.

Geert

hshahid

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:57:50 pm »
Hi Greet,

Thanks for your response. Yes, Block is the term from SysML. And I want to export SysML information from EA. Whereas, I read about some examples of XMI import in Moflon from Magic Draw and Rational Rose. Therefore, I was thinking it might be something with the XMI of EA. Do you have any suggestions about XMI export with SysML.

Thanks.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:23:02 am »
No sorry, no other suggestions then the one I gave already.

Geert

hshahid

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:28:00 am »
Thanks Greet.

Any suggestions anyone...?

mvinca

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:49 am »
I have also found that XMI import/export between tools for SysML doesn't work. Particularly, I was attempting between Artisan and EA. They both treat SysML objects so differently, nothing lines up.

Having said that, the reason we went with EA was that, unlike other tools, all the information ACTUALLY IS exported in some format. So we can pickup where the tools leave off. So my suggestion is to parse the XML yourself and script your destination for your desired results (assuming your destination has such extensibility features)

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:05:35 am »
Sorry to chime in with bad news but I've had similar problems importing/exporting XMI between EA and Rational System Architect (formerly Telelogic System Architect).

In the end, it was just too hard to get the XMI into a condition that either tool would accept.

:'(
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

hshahid

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 11:45:04 pm »
Thanks guys...