Author Topic: CallOperation Actions  (Read 1117 times)

mvinca

• EA User
    • View Profile
CallOperation Actions
« on: February 26, 2011, 03:07:11 am »
I drag an operation onto an Activity diagram and an CallOperation action is automatically created. But how do I create or link action pins to the variables define in the operation?

Kevin G. Watson

• EA User
  • I love EVERYTHING including Microsoft
    • View Profile
Re: CallOperation Actions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:49:20 am »
Hi'ya there

Do you mean attach values to pass into the operation (via the operation's parameter list ( I think these are called value or data pins btw)).  Vairables inside of an operation are not generally available in the callers context.

I'm guessing that how you connect values, depends on how you are representing the bits in your context, youre trying  to attach.

Remember how you loose the pin shape at source and destination ends of a connection when you connect output pin to obect ( the object value being passed); to the input pin on the receiver (an input pit on our operation perhaps).

I'll get some diagram fragments to illustrate...  might be from Umodel / VS\ALM....  I'll take a peek at EA in a bit, drag'n'drop of operations defined in a model onto an activity diagram is new to me; have been looking for that kind of behaviour (for tool to help teach computer programming as a construction toy for younger children, and other non-technical / proffessional users)

Thanks ...
Kevin [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Kevin G. Watson

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:35:58 am »
The Code Snippet ( sorry about C# bias )

String myName = "west ham";
        Console.WriteLine(myName);

would look like this

Ok, I'm showing I didn't start with writeline... if I'd been more awake I would have changed it to formatPrompt.

Kevin G. Watson

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:00:38 am »
Another code snippet

Console.WriteLine( RetreiveName() ) ;

or if you want to explicitedly disclose what is being passed

The lack of UML notional conventions in this area makes intrupretion harder than it ought to be...

How easily to acheive similiar result from with EA I've not yet tried

Kevin G. Watson

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:02:26 pm »
hey.....  self promotion has never been my way.

But!  Please note that hand drawn notation ( and something vaguely whiteboard brainstorming....  nothing for iPad finger painters et al of course) is in the beta (2nd para of User Experience).

Must be really hard working at sparx, all these folks yelling for how you draw call op[erations ( HOW YOU DISTINGIUS asynchronise calls ).  And never any feedback.

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]