Author Topic: Can the automation interface create an EAP fIle?  (Read 1035 times)

Steve Wartik

• EA User
  • Why aren't I outside?
    • View Profile
Can the automation interface create an EAP fIle?
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:25:56 am »
Is there a method in the automation interface that can be used to create a new EAP file? In other words, I'd like functionality equivalent to the "Create a New Project..." link on EA's start page. I haven't found a method in a place that seems obvious (to me).

I'm using the Java API if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
Re: Can the automation interface create an EAP fIl
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 07:43:31 am »
I don't think so.

What we've always done is something along the lines of the way EA does it internally. Copy a predefined 'seed' file - EA defaults to EABase.EAP in the installation directory, but you can use others - to the desired destination, then rename it as appropriate. Then just open the file with the EA Repository object.

You would go through an analogous process to create a new DBMS repository, creating a new schema with an appropriate name. In this case there is an additional step that cannot be omitted. You must initialize the schema with the necessary data to start a meaningful project. When working by hand you do this via the Project Transfer function in EA. There is no API equivalent - yes, we've asked - so you need to handle this another way.

One method is to create an empty 'reference' repository and do a project transfer by hand. Then extract the data via whatever ETL tool works for you. When you create a new schema run a job to load the data. Depending on the DBMS you might also be allowed to copy your reference schema and just use the copy as your starting point.

David
No, you can't have it!