Author Topic: Context References getting dropped from Scenarios?  (Read 1024 times)

M. Mansell

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Context References getting dropped from Scenarios?
« on: February 23, 2012, 03:01:44 am »
During an XMI export/import (or Package copy & paste), does anyone know how to preserve the Context References in Scenarios?

When I do this (in EA 9.0.908), not only do the links to the context references get dropped, but the references themselves get dropped from the Scenario steps.

So, for example, "The Dog chases the Cat down the Street" becomes "The  chases the  down the  ".  This has been very frustrating and time consuming to rebuild scenarios manually whenever I have to move Packages.

Perhaps it is 'Project level' data (like the Glossary) that doesn't get put in the XMI?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Context References getting dropped from Scenar
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:18:01 am »

M. Mansell

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:42:02 am »
Ok, I see now how to export/import the Glossary.

What about the context references that are linked to a Scenario?  Is there a specific section of the guide that describes this? - I couldn't find.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:38 am »
Oops. I now see that you're talking about activity diagrams (I was thinking of sequence diagrams when posting the link).

Maybe you can put me on rails with the scenario references? Is it something related to just the structured scenarios?

q.

M. Mansell

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:53:41 am »
Yes, its in the Scenario structured steps that this happens.

I got a reply from Support that the 'disappearing context references' has been previously reported and is logged as a bug.

As a workaround, I've come up with the following:
- before export to XMI, generate an Activity diagram from the Structured Specification steps
- export the XMI and then import in new location
- then, do the reverse in the Structured Specification UI -- right-click and select "Create Structure From Generated Activity Diagram" and select the Activity diagram generated previously.

M. Mansell

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:00:44 am »
Update --- this only seems to happen when 'Strip GUIDs' is enabled.  So if I keep the same GUIDs the context references seem to all be intact after the import.

I believe that the EA copy&paste to/from clipboard functionality uses XMI *and* strips the GUIDs when you paste.  Which would explain when I also have seen context references get dropped when trying to move/duplicate stuff with copy&paste.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:33:34 am »
I believe that the EA copy&paste to/from clipboard functionality uses XMI *and* strips the GUIDs when you paste.
Sure it does: the paste will create a new element and that implies a new GUID as well.

q.