Author Topic: Document a package reference  (Read 3189 times)

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
Document a package reference
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:48:21 am »
Packages generated from model documents only process elements modelled in the package which is added to the document model. All goes well in that way.

Something like:

RootPackage1
 |->Package1 <-- documenting only this complete package works fine
 |     |->Elements
 |     |->Package2
 |     |     |->Elements
 |     |->Package3
 |
RootPackage2
 |->Package4
 |     |->Elements
 |     |->Package5

I have a package with some child packages.
Now, what I like to do is to document Package4 like it was a child package of Package3, but I do not want to move or copy the package to avoid modeling things twice.
So something like a reference from package3 to Package4 or something?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanx in advance

PaulV

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Document a package reference
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:38:00 am »
RootPackage1
 |->Package1 <-- documenting only this complete package works fine
 |     |->Elements
 |     |->Package2
 |     |     |->Elements
 |     |->Package3
 |
RootPackage2
 |->Package4
 |     |->Elements
 |     |->Package5

I have a package with some child packages.
Now, what I like to do is to document Package4 like it was a child package of Package3, but I do not want to move or copy the package to avoid modeling things twice.
So something like a reference from package3 to Package4 or something?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanx in advance
The existing package reference shown on your tree does model a "containing relation" only:
  • RootPackage2 does contain Package4;

RootPackage2 does NOT contain Package3.
[/list]So Package3 cannot contain Package4 and vice versa.

In other words, the relation "package is contained in" is the same as "package is child of". What do you want is obviously to model some other kind of relation. What is a matter of?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:41:40 am by PaulV »

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:40 pm »
The reason behind the idea is to document seperately modelled change requests using parts of a larger design and requirements model.

For instance: In the change request document, packages should describe a previous situation and a new situation. It is desireable to model new situation only once in the requirements and design model, document it in the change request and document the complete design/requirements in for instance a complete SDD/SRS.

Therefor each change requests is modelled in EA in a seperate package including a master document and the usecase-, requirements packages etc..
Next to the change requests, there are some design and requirements packages reflecting the complete design and all requirements of the project.

The desire is to be able to document parts from the design and requirements packages in the change requests, without having to integrate the change request packages in the design and requirements packages. I would think of some kind of reference, to keep integration of the design parts in the document as good as possible i.e. with headings and the place of a part in the document. Hard to make it clear with few words I notice...

ChangeRequestPackage
|->RFC package
|     |->Elements
|     |->RFC BuyBook
|     |     |->Current situation package
|     |     |    |->Content/Elements/etc
|     |     |->New situation package
|     |     |    |->Reference to i.e. BuyBook Design   <- BuyBook Design is desired to be a sub paragraph of new situation.
|     |->Documentation package
|
RequirementsPackage
|-> Functional requirements
|     |->BuyBook Requirements
|     |->SellBook Requirements
|     |->ReadBook Requirements
|     |    |->Content/Elements/etc
|
DesignPackage
|->BuyBook Design
|    |->Content/Elements/etc
|->SellBook Design
|->ReadBook Design

Does that clarify the issue?

Robert Sheridan

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:04:36 am »
A work around I have used to acheive something similar is to use diagrams only in a sub package and drag onto the diagrams the elements from other packages that you want to appear at that point in your document.

This works because there is an option in the document template to include elements that are on diagrams as well as any actual elements.

If you create your templates with this capability you can override it when you run the report using the relevant switch on the document generation screen.

The downside is that it will apply to all the packages in the scope of the report so any elements in diagrams elsewhere which you might not have wanted to be included will be..  The only work around I have found for this is to use virtual documents with different sections for the diagram only packages.

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:28:15 am »
A work around I have used to acheive something similar is to use diagrams only in a sub package and drag onto the diagrams the elements from other packages that you want to appear at that point in your document.

This works because there is an option in the document template to include elements that are on diagrams as well as any actual elements.

Thanx, that was the one!
(Also don't forget to add section diagram elements in the RTF template)

Little addition:
You can avoid your drawback by deselecting the checkbox "Include all diagrams elements in report" on the template generator and enable the checkbox "Document each contained element in report" on the properties page of the diagram you got your external elements on.

Problem solved!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:30:51 am by marcelstr »

Robert Sheridan

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:54 am »
Thanks for the pointer to the diagram flag, had not occurred to me to look for it!

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:03:00 am »
Thought this solution was working perfect...

There seems to be a bug in this functionality. When I drag elements from different packages on a diagram like above, it seems you are not allowed to add a boundary.  :-?

If I don't use a bounary, all works well. All diagram-elements are documented. If I add a boundary, only elements from 1 external package are generated. Delete the boundary again and all elements are documented again.

Sidenotes:
  • I use an empty package->diagram->element section to format the diagram-elements like other elements.
  • I aded the boundary element in the template editor in the 'exclude details for'-list.

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:12:10 am »
Yes, It's a bug having to do with the exclusion of the boundary element in the template. It seems that when the generator has reached the point of generating the boundary element and detects it has to skip it due to the exclusion, generation of all other elements is skipped as well instead of only the boundary.

Shall file a bugreport.

This issue triggers in case any element is skipped for any reason. Also when 'hide anonyous elements' or 'hide noteless elements' is set and an element should be hidden due to that fact. Then all elements being generated later than that element, are skipped as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:27:23 am by marcelstr »

Ian Mitchell

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 01:27:30 am »
I think this works pretty well in eaDocX. Might be worth a look.
http://htp://www.eadocx.com
Ian Mitchell, Designer, eaDocX

www.eaDocX.com
www.theartfulmodeller.com

marcel_str

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 02:09:52 am »
Yeah, I know about eadocx, looks quite good.

The thing is that EA has it's straingth from being quite a complete tool in design, code generation and documentation. Plugins for interfacing with other tooling is well supported, but my company (and I would understand many other companies as well) tries to limit the amount of licenses for plugins due to cost and managing effort. I can understand that.

Besides that, EA has a report generator which should work without these kind of bugs.

Though it would be great if eadocx would become part of EA!  ::)

Ian Mitchell

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 04:41:23 am »
Not much chance of that - Sparx' policy seems to be to keep away from any specific integration with anything else - even MS Office!
Not that I'd mind getting an offer from them... :)
Ian Mitchell, Designer, eaDocX

www.eaDocX.com
www.theartfulmodeller.com

Stefan Bolleininger

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:24 am »
Dear marcel,

you would be able to create a own reporter which can just do anything you want. It is all within the API. Then you will be able to open up word or libreoffice or whatever you desire and report everything you want.

Or buy an existing reporter like eaDocX or the reporter from Optana or anything else. ( I think nearly every hardworking ea-poweruser has written its own one ;) )

However it should not be everything included within EA - it would fire up the prices and doesn't make in affordable in any way. That's the charming point in Enterprise Architect. If you want the all-in-one solutions and will have to pay it. Within the companies for whom I work for - they decided to buy EA on the basics of features, intended use and price. - The rest was build around it ( My job as consultant).

So please leave it open and extendable.  ;)

Regards

Stefan

Enterprise Architect in "safetycritical development" like medical device industry. My free Add-in at my Website

jfzouain

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:18:24 am »
Hi

If I really undestand what you want to can create, you can accomplish this with a Master Document (Document Diagram) with 3 Model Document, and drop in each package (containing your elements)  what you want to print. There is a little bit more work than this but I think you can do this in EA.

Best regards

Jose Zouain