Author Topic: Default to not show connectors in other diagrams  (Read 3647 times)

LeeD

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Default to not show connectors in other diagrams
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:12 am »
Hi
Is there a way in ea 10 to default new connectors to not show in other diagrams? I know I can right click on them/visibility/hide connector in other diagrams but when you're making a lot it's a pain.

Cheers
Lee

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Default to not show connectors in other diagra
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:21:14 am »
No, there is not.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

LeeD

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:45:09 am »
Consider this a feature request then :-)

Jacob Vos

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:11:37 pm »
I fully support this feature request!

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:41:26 am »
I must admit to being puzzled by this request...

If an association is not appropriate on all diagrams, maybe that is a case where you have two classes which appear to be the same thing...

...but are actually separate things.

In the past, stray associations on diagrams has demonstrated flawed thinking on my part.

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »
I agree with Andy.
If you really need this feature you are doing it wrong 8-)

If a relation between two elements shouldn't be shown anywhere but in one location then the relation probably shouldn't exist in the first place.

Remember, EA is not Visio. It' a modelling tool, to build models that can be graphically represented. Not a tool to make pretty pictures.

Geert

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:06:04 am »
Hi,

in principle I agree with Andy and Geert.

There are diagrams like context diagrams which represent special views where only particular relationships are viewed. They are valuable because they show a useful view for a particular question.

I don't know the silver bullet but I'm also annoyed by unwanted relationships.

My idea is: In a digram you can control if a new relationships is automatically added or not.

In my opinion: A diagram is a view to the model. Therefore there is no need to visualize all relationships. The author of the diagram has to say what the meaning of the diagram is (the story of the diagram, or what I want to tell you).

Helmut
Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:04 am »
I'm with AndyJ and Geert. Honestly I was about to write the same but did not for not being too grumpy with Christmas so near.

q.

Jacob Vos

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:44:42 am »
I agree with what Helmut writes. To say it in other words: there is a difference between a model (containing concepts) and the representation of the model (references to concepts).  A diagram is a representation.

For example I have three concepts: role A, role B and role C (guess you use ArchiMate). All those three roles have relations with each other (let's say flows).

Now I create a diagram in which I want to focus on role A. So I have roles A, B and C, and only the relations in which A is a party.

And now the awkward thing occurs: whenever I add a relation between B and C, it's added to my diagram that has A as focus.

Grrrrrr.....

A modelling tool should offer good support to this. (Visio is not a modelling tool, but a drawing tool.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:46:15 am by jacobvos »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:56:40 am »
I like Helmuts suggestion too.
I'm not against hiding relations on some diagrams. I'm against hiding relations on all diagrams (but one).

Geert

PS. Now I'm going back to my cave before the whole christmassy thing starts :P

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 07:59:46 am »
I am frankly amazed at the trend I am seeing here.

I am also retreating to my cave to avoid Christmas!

Yours in Grinchliness...

Andy
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

rothnic

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 04:03:45 am »
This is probably not so much a cut and dry topic. But, the overarching issue here is that many people use these tools in different ways. What one person may think is poor modeling using one paradigm, it could be considered good practice in another. The way for a tool like this to support many users is to provide the ability to configure the different default characteristics per type, stereotype, diagram, etc. If there were settings allowing you to override the default relationships that show up on a given type of diagram, this would meet the need I believe.

As for this being a modeling issue. I find that sometimes people operate too much at a "global" level. So, they define flows (dependencies) between classes/blocks instead of between properties/parts. If you want to say data flows between System1 and System2, that relationship would show up in all cases. What if you want to assert that in a certain situation, data does not flow, or a different type of data flows?

This is why I think modeling a Domain or other context element, then associating (composition/reference) the Classes/Systems provides some containment for your modeling into a specific context. I could have a System of Systems domain block, that has a composition relationship to System1 and System2. System1 and System2 are given a role.

Then, you could allocate behavior to sys1:System1 or sys2:System2, or define Flows between them, and then these relationships would not show up when you place System1 or System2 into a different diagram. Of course there will be cases where this doesn't make sense, but this is how I typically handle it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:04:23 am by rothnic »

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 07:08:01 am »
In my opinion: A diagram is a view to the model. Therefore there is no need to visualize all relationships. The author of the diagram has to say what the meaning of the diagram is (the story of the diagram, or what I want to tell you).
I concur with this, for example in some high level or conceptual diagrams I show connections between major components that don't belong in detailed diagrams.

Simon

PS did I mention that an EA release concentrating solely on diagram enhancements would be a good thing?!
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

Lise Gerd Pedersen

• EA Novice
  • Independent consultant
    • View Profile
    • ARCHIT
Re: Default to not show connectors in other diagrams
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 04:07:35 pm »
I know this is an old topic but Sparx Support referred me to this within the last 24 hours, so ...

ArchiMate might be a bit different than other modeling languages. If I have three elements A, B and C and relations from A to B and from B to C it might be relevant to show this on one diagram and then - on another diagram - only show A and C with a *derived* relation. The language has specific rules as to which relations can be derived from which. Therefore it IS highly relevant to be able to add relations without showing them in all previous diagrams.

To me the solution might be simple: If I lock the first diagram I thereby say that I don't want anybody to change anything. Sparx might then add the derived connection to the diagram but automatically turn the visibility off. If the diagram is not locked, Sparx can act as usual and make the new connection visible.

Feature request?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Default to not show connectors in other diagrams
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 04:41:30 pm »
Yes. But probably one that ends up on (or under) a pile of other requests. Probably the fastest is to run a script on a regular basis which is altering the views in a way you want it. Later you could think of using an add-in to support that behavior on the fly.

q.