Author Topic: Using Crow's Feet Connectors for database model  (Read 3457 times)

drapp

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Using Crow's Feet Connectors for database model
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:28:12 pm »
Hi all... newbie to E/A.  I was given the task of doing a data model of a system.  Originally starting via Visio 2013 but that choked on only 1 table at a time... what a joke.  Anyhow, found this tool and looks very promising.

I connected to an empty database with sample production tables and downloaded the structures into E/A no problem.  Note:  For the test database, I did NOT identify any constraints, just a handful of tables and their primary keys.

So I'm trying to do the diagram pull tables into the diagram area, finally figure how to get a relationship between the tables and set source(role) and target(role) and that makes sense.

However, these line styles are ugly and was looking for crow's feet.  I searched the web and it mentioned to go to the drawing / properties / connectors tab / connector notation combobox and pick information engineering.   Did that...  Now what.  I am not seeing anything anywhere on how to identify to change the line style to crow's feet format.

Appreciate the assistence.

Jacob Vos

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Using Crow's Feet Connectors for database mode
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:04:51 pm »
Don't the connector line ends on the diagram for which you changed the Connector Notation automatically change into crow's feet style? Because that's the way how it should work. So not by first changing a parameter and then - per connector - change the style.

drapp

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:27:45 am »
Nope, hence the confusion...  When I click on the line (right-click) and menu to line-style, I see ( Direct, Auto Routing, Custom Line, Tree Style/Lateral/Orthogonal)... Nothing indicating crow's feet symbolism.

Do I need to be in some specific mode of the app?  Should it be a connector or a relationship? Something else?  Is it based on a specific "Diagram Type"?  Currently I have it as an ER Diagram.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:29:08 am by drapp »

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:38:47 am »
Diagram properties | Connectors | Connector Notation | Information Engineering
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Dermot

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:33:38 pm »
For an example as per Simons reply - see page 16 of the whitepaper:
http://community.sparxsystems.com/white-papers/669-data-modeling-from-conceptual-model-to-dbms

RoyC

• EA Administrator
  • EA Practitioner
  • Read The Help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »
I think I got to the same point as you did - where are the crow's feet?

If the crow's feet don't show, you need to check the Multiplicity of each connector. (Connector Properties dialog, Source Role and Target Role pages).
Best Regards, Roy