Author Topic: Are Virtual Master Documents on their way out?  (Read 1978 times)

Colin Coates

• EA User
    • View Profile
Are Virtual Master Documents on their way out?
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:55 am »
I've been spending some time with the Sparx Enterprise Architect version 11 Beta, and started to wonder whether Virtual Master Documents might be on their way out?

The "Generate Documentation" dialogue is now replete with drop-down lists to select:
  • Template
  • Table of Contents
  • Stylesheet
  • Cover Page

Since you can now use the dialogue to select TOC, stylesheet and cover page, why would you need a Virtual Master Document? Well, to re-order the presentation of model packages of course!

So far I'm enjoying the difference, since it removes the stuff that was confusing about VMD's and focuses their usefulness on what they do well.  :)

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Are Virtual Master Documents on their way out?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:14:08 am »
Hello Colin,

with Master Documents you can define a document which consists of different packages and different templates it's based on.

Consider you have the packages:
- Requirement
- Architecture

Then you can  define the two virtual documents Requirement with your Requirement template and Architecture with your architecture template.

Helmut
Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

Colin Coates

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:25:07 am »
That too Helmut! ;)

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:42:14 am »
There are definitely still uses for master documents.

What's changed is that you don't really need a template for the master document itself to insert any cover page or table of contents. But that's almost incidental.

If you are using a master document to combine two different reports it's now much easier to keep a consistent style across the two sections of a report thanks to the stylesheet option. That and that you can now adjust the cover and contents pages of any report without trying to change the report itself (or having multiple copies of the report as we previously did for some of the built-in templates.)

I'm glad you're happy with the changes.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:21:13 am »
I like the new changes to the Document Generator. It provides a better and more flexible framework for creating docs. I will still use master documents as my clients often want documents with sections with different layouts/formats. A case for example mentioned before is the requirements section is often in tabular form and the architect part often uses diagrams with sub-headings to explain the elements.
I'm currently working for a client that has a need to generate a document with about 12 different sections all formatted in different ways.
So in answer to your question I don't think Master Docs will disappear from my radar for a while yet.
Happy to help
:)